1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation X: Check in here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 4, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pallister, you can always go hang out at Wrigley if you've got afternoons free.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That won't cheer me up this year.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Class of 1991. Like Mystery Meat, I'm far more jaded and cynical than I was back then. I was just starting to stir, politically, during my senior year of HS. I was passionate during my first two years of college...campaigned for local Democrat candidates in the summer of '92 and adorned my car and my room with Clinton/Gore signs.

Now? I'm consumed by contempt and cynicism. I'll vote Obama, but I have no real faith in him and his ability to change anything.

And the whole Gen X is lazy thing that was perpetuated by old farts in the '90s...I like to think the last decade-plus has proven them completely full of shit. We work harder and longer for less. We've learned our efforts do not matter to the Powers That Be. We have zero job security (which contributes to the overall contempt and cynicism)...I've had more jobs since 2000 than my parents have had since 1970. My parents have never been fired/laid off/pick your euphanism. It's happened to me four times. It doesn't stop some idiots from still griping about the damn young kids, but they're morans.

Of course, I also see myself picking up some old fart habits. I have XM and keep it on the decades stations as well as the Boneyard. Damn hippies with their pants pulled down low, their new music sucks!

And even though I'm only 34, I already feel old in this business...that my time may have passed b/c I'm 34 and invested in this career and not some 22-year-old kid fresh out of college who can be exploited at a menial wage for a couple years until he finds a better career. And there are many times, especially lately, where I catch myself cursing those youngsters out and painting them with a broad brush. Damn kids with their facebooks!

Of course, I worked in those jobs when I was 22. And look where it got me. Right here.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm so cynical it hurts most of the time.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I live a simple life
    but I'm not a simple guy
    And who I am is what I'll be
    long as time don't pass me by
    You see, I'm not down on my luck
    I just gave up on givin' a fuck

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fucking looser.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm 38, no wife, no kids.
    Still pretty much live like I did 10 years ago.
    Very liberal and have gotten more so over the years.
    Don't much care for the younger generation, don't much care for the boomer generation either.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

But do you care much about history? Or biology? Or the French you took?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

*trying to tune out the Art Garfunkel version*

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I didn't even know there was an Art Garfunkel version. Holy ambulatory penis with a gold-fringed head, Batman!

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Says the guy who claims to have fucked a hobo.

Draft saved Draft deleted