1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation X: Check in here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 4, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just turned 40. I have no kids, but I love kids. To have kids, I'd have to have a woman who wants to birth them with me and that hasn't happened. I suppose I have had a wee bit to do with that. I am cynical. I don't know what the words liberal or conservative mean anymore. Fiscally, I am very conservative; to a "Boston Tea Party" extreme. When it comes to civil rights, I am pretty liberal, I guess. I was a total Generation Xer career-wise. I'm well educated but refused to do the things I was "supposed" to do with my education. I do OK, but at 40, I have the nagging feeling I should have done more than I have up until now. But that might be a personality thing, because I have always been like that; no matter what I am up to, I feel like a fuck up. I definitely don't feel like I have grown up at all. But most of my friends have, so I think I am an anomaly, not representative of a generation.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Listened to 91X

Listened to X

Don't really remember listening to Generation X. My intro to Billy Idol was his solo career in the White Wedding era.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I generally try to be optimistic, but I like to think I know when I'm being played. So I guess I keep cynicism on the hip, in case I hafta draw. Really haven't liked much music made after 1996 (some tho). Have a kid in college, but most of the time I feel not much older than the young'un. Kennedy liberal. Up and down on fiscal responsibility.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wedged between X and Y, which is just fine with me. I can mock both, along with the boomers.

In other words, fuck all y'all. ;)

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Skeptical, progressive and (so far) non-breeding.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm a GenXer.

We were branded as slackers when we were going through college.

I think, as most of us exit our 20s and enter our 30s, the youthful idealism turns into realism for just about every generation, X, Y, Z, Baby Boom, whomever (my dad -- a hard-core evangelical family values guy/union president who walked the fence politically, said in the 80s "today's yuppies are the same people who were the hippies of 10-15 years ago").

When it all comes down to it, we learn how to do our jobs, what works, what doesn't, et al. We tend to think more about the cycle of life -- work, pay the bills, keep a roof over the head, keep food on the table, have a little left over for some nice luxuries. Even the "non-breeders" of the 20s often settle down and have 2.5 kids in their 30s.

We're more technologically-savvy than our elders, but maybe not as technologically-savvy as those coming behind us.

For me? 1 kid, intending to have another. I've changed careers once, own my own side business and find time to freelance. Politically conservative, but I was a right-wing firebrand in high school & college, too. Have oddball musical tastes, but generally don't listen to any band that came out after 1980 (Bruce Hornsby the big exception).

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As far as the band goes, just about everything off the first album is great...especially "Promises, Promises" which pretty much served as an epitaph for the original spirit of punk...and a foreshadowing of Idol's regrettable career as a corporate rock star.

I'm about Ragu's age and am true to the generational stereotype in many ways. Single, never married, no kids. Took me forever to find a career I liked. Started out to be an academic, abandoned that with no Plan B and basically dithered around in the human services and health fields for a decade and a half before finally discovering journalism in my mid 30s.

Politically, my view of the world has remained about the same since my youth. But my view of what constitutes effective political action has changed dramatically. I've gone from being a radical to being a boring, work-within-the-system kind of guy. That was inevitable, I suppose. Even when I was at my worst as an early-20s, left-wing know-it-all, a kernel of rationality inside my brain always held that practical concerns should always trump ideology.

One thing about the Gen X stereotype never resonated with me and that was the "slacker" ethic. Even when I was farting around and doing nothing career-wise, I was very busy outside of work with political activism, travel, performing arts and other interests. True, there were some days when I waked-n-baked and spent the day at a coffeehouse, but I was always a bit embarrassed to be so useless and could never make a lifestyle out of that.

Finally, I should mention that the whole "alt rock" fad of the mid 90s pretty much cured me of being a hipster. Thomas Frank's "The Conquest of Cool" articulated my objections perfectly. I saw Austin go from being a laid-back, bohemian town to a self-conscious hipster town in just a few years. Watching the idiocy of 90s hipsterism consume Austin was like watching a beloved ex-girlfriend become a crack whore.

8. KG

KG Active Member

You can be my baby daddy. ;)

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm 36, unemployed and have no purpose in life. Otherwise, things are going OK.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking Repubilcans.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'm fucking 40
    I can't say that I'm thrilled
    I never dated Winona Ryder
    And I probably never will
    Well I guess I'm fucking 40
    Ah but I'm better off than some
    Well I may be fucking 40