1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation X: Check in here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

The Managing Generation Y-ine thread got me thinking.

How's it going Gen X? We were marked as a cynical, non-breeding bunch. We shunned managerial posts, pushed the button on the eight-hour work week, watched as technology has grown.

We're approaching or in our 40s. Where are we now?

I found this on workopolis:

http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/Common/ArticlesDetailView&articleId=brent20080617File1Article1&lang=EN&articleSource=Brent

It seems that, sadly, we're growing up. We've become more conservative. Even I, a terminal procrastinator, have my on management. And luckily, I live in an economy that will allow me ...

How's you?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I still hate the hell out of the Generation X tag. A moniker put on us by Baby Boomers who wanted to make themselves feel better.

Other than that, I'm liberal as ever (our generation was pretty conservative to begin with), and fuck anyone younger than me. :D

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm cynical, but I'm also a breeder, big-time, like Shawn Kemp, my junior by one day.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Most people I know, including two of my brothers, have two kids. My eldest brother and I have opted to go the non-breeding route.

But even my breeding brothers have held the generational line in comparison to our parents. But then again, my dad came from a family of eight and my mom, a family of 12.

We must be sorely disappointing our Irish Catholic heritage.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's funny, Flash. All of me and my wife's friends either have two kids, or one with one more intended or already in the hopper. We're on one and probably will in time go for two, but certainly not three, and I haven't heard any consideration for a third from any of the aforementioned friends.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

More spry and youthful than I've ever been. I envy the kiddies nothing.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Class of '89. Cynical as they come. Had a bar mitzvah (I was a good, little kid then) but disdain religion with every fiber of my being. As non-breeding as they come (so to speak). But the 40-hour-a-week thing is a misnomer. Not sure I've ever worked less than 75 hours a week, which is why I'm probably not breeding and haven't had a sniff of it in ... a long, long, such a long time. But that's for another thread, I suppose.

Politically? Goddamn, it would be nice to have someone who speaks to me. In my lifetime, only Bubba has done that. I know I'm supposed to jump on the Obama Train, and even though one of his favorite books is my favorite book, there's something fishy about him. I suppose that's just me being cynical.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's good ... they say breeding within the family can lead to some fucked up kids.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fuck the Baby Boomers. Fuck 'em with a rusty Steely Dan. Just kidding. I think.

I'm not sure if I agree with the segment about the Gen Xer's comfort level with technology. I think those at the latter end of Gen X are nearly as comfortable with technology as the Gen Y gang.

Politically, I think I'm more liberal now than I was when I was younger. In fact, I know I am. However, I still don't identify with Dumbicrats or Repugnicans, nor do I put up with either party's shit. I also have been pondering getting out of this 60 to 80-hours-per-week work cycle and into a job with more sane hours. The corner office? Funk dat.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I fit in neither generation. And it shows.

I'm breeding (we want three kids).

And I hate technology (I have no cell, no video games and no wireless anything).

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3 points.

12. Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted