1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Generation Limbo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You articulated much better than me some of the initial annoyances I think I had. One was remembering that story from last year. Another was, yes, the tragedy of a 23-year-old Ivy Leaguer having to find their way a little bit.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Cry me a river. Neither can I.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Since you came away with a completely different sense than others who read it, I think it is fair to ask why you saw it that way.

And like LTL, I don't necessarily see it as the worst thing in the world that people can't get the job they want right out of school. Of my friends, who are mostly in the 24-26 year old range, only a few are doing the kinds of jobs they wanted to do out of school, but those who aren't are still doing pretty well for themselves and in more than a few cases learning skills that will allow them to be quite flexible in the future.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When did we start conflating a traditional liberal arts education with trade school?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, the musician jumped out at me too -- if she had the talent to chase a music career all over the country, that's probably where her ambitions were in the first place anyway.

7. Dick Whitman

You didn't ask why I saw it that way. You told me why I did.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A Harvard degree and a successful musician. If only she had had a better plan...

9. Dick Whitman

I don't think it should be trade school.

I have said here a million times. Map out a well-rounded education that's also practical. Nothing wrong with double majoring in philosophy and pre-med. Or economics and engineering. Or English Literature and chemistry.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So unless you give yourself the ability to go into a science/math-related field, you're not being practical?

11. Dick Whitman

Um, those were examples. It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list.

But you knew that.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

DW is trying to dog on people who haven't followed his plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted