1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Reporter / Sports in Lakeview, Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by runningman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

I was the last person to hold this position (Sports Editor / County Government and Education Reporter). Specific beats are probably subject to change depending on who comes in with what experience. I have almost nothing but good things to say about both the place you'll work in and the people you work with. The Lake County Examiner (paid weekly direct-mail circulation is c. 2,500, still class 'A' all the way - great for either beginners or for retirees in the Oregon Outback. Still, don't expect to (a) get rich or (b) get lazy. There's a lot going on in the county. PM me with questions. I tell people I'm honest to a fault; I'll tell you my perspective of the place, job and people.

For general info: 3 high schools in coverage area - only one within town limits, other two are one and two hours away, respectively). Shawn Greenfield does really well each year in the rodeo; hang gliding capital of the west (or U.S., I forget). Lakeview cross country female freshman in fall of 2006 posted third best of all 6 Oregon class in state meet en route to Class 3A/2A/1A state title; Lakeview volleyball team advanced to second round of state tournament; North Lake 8-man football team qualified for playoffs for second time in school history (got pummeled like 60-6 in the playoff game, though), Lakeview FB team, after a subpar 2006 season, has 43 players returning for the fall of 2007 season ...

If you need a big city (Wal-mart, Target, Applebees, etc., don't apply. Nearest town of any size is roughly 95 miles away in Klamath Falls). If you're a very private person, I would encourage you not to apply. This is a small town; everybody will know everything you're doing (and thinking) and you will know everything about everyone else.
    If you want to have some control and input into improving a sports section, apply. If you are just beginning and eager to get clips, sound feedback and meet a lot of new people, apply. If you want to see some decent high school sports in a small town, apply.
    ---
    from journalismjobs.com

Company: Lake County Examiner
    Position: General Reporter/ Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: February 21, 2007
    Job ID: 685883

Description:
    Immediate opening -- general reporter/ sports reporter at small weekly in the beautiful high desert of Eastern Oregon. Pay range $9.50-11 per hour depending on experience. Full-time, some evening and weekend work. Cost of living extremely low. Great benefits. Need writing experience. Will teach photography. Some layout work involved. Email: tflynn@lakecountyexam.com resume or call 1-541-947-3378 for more information. Ask for Tillie Flynn.

Draft saved Draft deleted