1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Reporter/ Sports Editor Lake County Examiner ... Lakeview, Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by vols1998, Feb 16, 2013.

1. vols1998

vols1998 New Member

2-year commitment? What is this, an altar call?
    That's more time than a Calapari signing — for the promise of less money, of course.

Company: Lake County Examiner
    Position: General Reporter/ Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Description:

Immediate opening -- general news reporter and sports writing— small weekly in the beautiful high desert of South Eastern Oregon. Rather remote, with hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing, etc. opportunities galore. Pay range $11-12 per hour depending on experience. Full-time, some evening and weekend work. Cost of living is extremely low. Great benefits. Need writing and social media experience. Will teach photography. Some layout work involved. Need to hit the ground running. Looking for a 2 year commitment. Email: tflynn@lakecountyexam.com resume or call 1-541-947-3378 for more information. Ask for Tillie Flynn.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

A two-year commitment at less than $25K a year - good luck keeping anybody good.

3. Tell Tille what she wants to hear in that you plan on sticking around for two years. The thing about plans, though, is they change.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The commitment needs to go both ways.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder how many times someone has left before the end of the two years and had Tillie whine about commitment.

6. I left way before two years was up (regrettably, but necessary due to personal reasons), but on some days I still think Lakeview, Ore., is where I should be. I loved that little town, and anyone starting out could do far, far worse. It's a lot of work. The SE covers sports - with the help of another full-timer - but the majority of time for both staff writers is covering news.

I can vouch for Tillie, the staff writer there (though they understandably might not vouch for me these days) the rest of the staff at the office. The town is awesome and people are passionate about their student-athletes.

Plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities if you're into it (I was) and if you're looking for a town where the people stand up for one another - whether you've been there for 50 minutes or 50 years - then consider this position.

PM me if anyone wants my thoughts on this job. It's a good one, I think, for anyone starting out looking for a reliable staff and office support or for anyone else who might be ready to leave a big city and instead be a "big fish in a small pond."

7. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

This was my first-ever print gig. Before the Morning News (Blackfoot, ID). Before the Lewiston Morning Tribune (Lewiston-Clarkston, Moscow-Pullman). Before the Minot (N.D.) Daily News. I was very green when I worked there but I was able to pump out my first clips and move on. But I wasn't there two years. Not even a year. Not even half of a year. Dispatch describes it pretty well.

8. One thing I'd like to point out about the ad: it's one of the select few that encourages a phone call to ask questions. I'm at the point now where I don't even apply for jobs that advertise "no phone calls" because if an editor, GM or publisher doesn't want to take a few minutes to talk about the shop they run, then I'm not interested.

Way back when, Tillie and I spoke for nearly an hour. She was very honest about what the community didn't have and all that it did, including "all three sports." Of course, there is more than football, baseball and basketball there. There's swimming, skiing and cross country and track and field, among others. In my case, the phone call from me to Tillie — which I made even before I applied — resulted in a hire.

As for the request for a two-year commitment, I believe Tillie is looking to stabilize the newsroom and has the best interests of the newspaper in mind, and if one can't respect that (or at least hide that you don't), one should not apply.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Commitment is a two-way street. If she wants a reporter to make such a commitment, then the pay should reflect that. Put up or shut up.

Draft saved Draft deleted