1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General movie news thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 3, 2022.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/box-office-100-million-1235906232/

Always enjoyed getting hyped for Memorial Day weekend - even if the weather wasn't warm out this way - I could still make it feel like summer by hitting a "big" movie on the opening weekend. Not so fast my friend - and I guess I'm not alone. I mean shoot, a $100m opening weekend takes only 7 million ticket buyers or so. And is it odd that I thought Universal's The Fall Guy was an interesting choice for a big budget treatment given the unlikelihood of it spawning a sequel or three? Or even an attraction at Universal Studios? If they went with a more modest budget, they might have been able to justify a reboot of the series - but I didn't see the potential added value.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Fall Guy should've been a Disney franchise — they inherited the TV series from Fox, which they bought.

5. DanOregon

I did not know that - always associated Glen Larson with Universal. Didn't realize he took his shingle to Fox Studios for The Fall Guy.
    I'm always fascinated by the often tortured paths films make to get to the screen.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  6. DanOregon

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

We're not even a year removed from Barbie making $1.4b, and dragging a talky period piece with it to $950m. I kind of think the box office will be fine. They just haven't found what will resonate since the audience clearly has fatigue with a bunch of the superhero projects. (And that being said, Deadpool is probably going to make a billion, judging from presales already, and Bad Boys is also trending pretty well so far.)

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Disney figured out that more isn't always better. One reason Wolverine and Deadpool will likely do well is that it is the only MCU movie this year. It also helps that the most recent MCU content, X-Men '97, was well-received. Having Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds helps, too.

Was it fatigue? I'm sure for some. The larger issue was that the content simply wasn't as good. Movies like Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy did well because they were very entertaining. Endgame was an event that probably can't be duplicated. Then you have stuff like Marvels which was crap. Most of the audience is still there if they start making good movies again.

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

I've been a fan of Powell's since I saw him in Everybody Wants Some (another Linklater project). This one is getting good reviews, he's also got Twisters coming out this summer. Figure the guy is going to be the next big movie star by August, or just another actor.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think there's a chance he's already there

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Val Kilmer became a star after being the asshole in Top Gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted