1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Editor -- ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

from journalismjobs.com

Company: ESPN
    Position: General Editor - Sports News Desk
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 7, 2007
    Job ID: 759898
    Website: http://www.joinourteam.espn.com/joinourteam/home.html

Description:
    ESPN.com Title: General Editor - Sports News Desk Location : Bristol , CT JOB ID:74488

Job Responsibilities

The General Editor, News Desk, is an experienced editor who works with other news editors in maintaining the live news coverage for the site. Duties including compiling and posting the site’s new reports, using information from ESPN reporters, wire services and other outside sources. News desk editors are responsible for making judgments on story play and for participating in discussions on packaging content into lead stories on the ESPN.com front page and sport index pages. Editors are expected to write crisp, clear and concise headlines. Under the direction of the Director of Editorial Operations, the news desk is responsible for merging information from a variety of sources – staff, television, reporters and wire reports. The news desk is often the initial contact for reporters in the field.

General Editor is a non-managing job, responsible for managing editorial content for a specific page, section or area of ESPN.com’s site. Alone or with other sources, the General Editor gathers content and coordinates coverage; works to expand and make coverage more comprehensive; works with staff writers and freelancers; generates story ideas; contributes to special features and stories and edits multiple stories, among other duties. The General Editor typically edits copy to meet established tone, theme accuracy, style and consistency requirements; writes copy; enhances existing material; contributes to making the site work and to creating a positive experience for users of ESPN.com. Depending upon specific coverage area or beat, the job may include responsibility for the daily content and regular “refreshes” of an assigned sports page or area of the ESPN.com site. In the absence of a senior or deputy editor, the General editor may be called upon to lead a group, shift or key coverage area of the site.

Required Qualifications

Typically 3 + years of editorial and reporting experience. Has basic competence in writing, editing and reporting. Has a basic appreciation of popular culture, e.g., “what’s cool” and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN’s audiences. Has basic news journalism experience and news judgment; understands assigned sport(s) from a journalistic point of view. Has a basic understanding of HTML and related web authoring tools and software, particularly Content Editor. Strong English grammar and excellent organizational skill, particularly as it applies to grammar and syntax; thorough familiarity with leading newspaper/magazine style guides. Familiarity with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet. Strong understanding of some or all major sports, as well as a working knowledge of athletes, coaches, league operations and the like. Bachelors degree or higher preferred in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field.

Apply online at http://www.joinourteam.espn.com/joinourteam/home.html

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

No one chiming in here?

Gotta be a great job, right?

3. turnovers

turnovers Member

You'd think no brainer, but what do I know? I'm surprised only 3+ years asked.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I know this might be obvious, but why are all the ESPN jobs in Bristol? Isn't part of the point of the Internet the ability to work from anywhere?

I wouldn't mind working for the Worldwide Leader... but I still bear the scars of my first trip to Bristol. :eek:

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Isn't Bristol listed on the "best places to get a butt whooping" thread?

(I concur, sounds like a cool job. Never been to Bristol, can't say what it would be like.)

6. Indeed Bristol is a shit hole. I covered a few high school events there and the Little League complex is there too, but not much else. I knew someone who at ESPN and he lived in New Haven. But I'd bet living in Bristol is a lot safer than New Haven. There is always Hartford (east, center, west), oh wait . . . you could get beat up there too!

7. jshoot

jshoot New Member

I sat next to an ESPN reporter at a basketball game not too long ago and picked his brain about working there. He said ESPN struggles to find competent copy editors willing to live in Bristol and it's understaffed. Can't blame ESPN for wanting all of its editors under one roof, but Bristol seems to be a major deterrent. Never been there myself, but I don't think I plan on looking up tickets on Orbitz any time soon.

8. Pops

Pops Member

This job will involve a lot of Web updating. You'll also be surfing the Internet and going through news feeds, then organizing the stories or rewriting them to fit under the "ESPN.com news services" byline. Not that it's a terrible gig -- the pay is competitive and if you impress people you'll move up quickly -- but I know a lot of people whose creativity was zapped when they took this type of job there. It's very low on the ever-meticulous ESPN totem poll (minimum three levels of bosses above you in your department) and will involve little or no production of original content.

There are a number of other reasons it's 3+ years, not the least of which is that you're pretty much a wire clerk. I also wouldn't recommend living in Bristol to anyone; there are some nice areas around Hartford, which is about 20 minutes away. You're within 2 hours of Boston and NYC, so you're not totally marooned. Just don't look at this as a ticket to the national stage if you want to write.

On the plus side, I believe the McDonald's across the street still gives ESPN employees 25% off.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

SOLD! :)

10. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Sweet. You can get double-cheeseburgers for like 75 cents then.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But wouldn't you rather eat in the cafeteria and bump into Jay Bilas, or swap hugs and handpounds with Stuart Scott?

12. turnovers

turnovers Member

So if Bristol is so barren, where do the talent live?

Draft saved Draft deleted