1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Simmons' very public "partnership" problems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not a big reality-show fan, for the most part. But I began watching "Gene Simmons' Family Jewels" last season because it was kind of charming in an Ozzy kind of way.

They had their season opener last night, and I sure didn't expect what transpired. Spoilers ahead.

Simmons, as you know, is quite the philanderer. And Shannon Tweed, the ex-Playmate who's been his partner (non-married) for more than 25 years, has finally had it. And it all comes tumbling down as the cameras roll. It's quite the character study of two people who are looking at the second part of their life in the fishbowl ... or in Simmons' case, refusing to look at it.

Separate morning-show interviews on "Today" and "The Joy Behar Show" are pretty eye-opening, too. They're both here: http://www.genesimmons.com/ ... which, of course, might just make you shake your head that they've been posted there in the first place.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Amazing it's lasted 25 years. Gene Simmons is one of the most insufferable sleazeballs in the history of the world, and I say that as a Kiss fan.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The lines get very blurry in situations like this. You wonder how much of it is reality show, high ratings. And how much of it is real-life drama.

Just knowing Simmons' history and watching these things, if it's an act, they're very good actors.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

During my stint at the WWL's ill-fated entertainment unit, he came in to pitch his new gig, spokesman and PR director for IndyCar.

Yeah, it's not surprising that gig didn't last long for him.

(BTW, he happened to be in the office the same time John Daly and his later-to-be-busted-selling-crack wife were in...so we sat them both down and rolled cameras for about a half-hour. THAT was some fun tape.)

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I stumbled onto the show last night, too (didn't know it was the season premiere) and was really floored by it. I've watched on occasion over the years. Gene always seemed like a dick, but his relationship with Shannon seemed to work and their kids seemed pretty grounded.

I'll have to check out those interviews. Thanks for posting the link.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A few years ago on Stern, Tweed highly implied that it's an act and that he plays into it because he's worried about what his image would be if they knew he was a loyal "husband/partner" and father.

Who knows if something has changed since then.

The guy may be a douchebag (or plays one on TV) but he may be one of the smartest businessmen of any rock star.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I have a hard time buying any "news" that comes at the onset of a reality-show's season. Pregnancies? Break-ups? Engagements? Weddings?

The Kardashians have proven to be geniuses at the form - amazing how much "news" they make just weeks before a premiere of one of their shows.

Know this - the show(s) have been in the can for months. If whatever the drama was, was REAL or significant for that matter - we'd have already heard about it. If its fake - they are just manipulating the audience. Hard to feel anything for anyone who sells "their life."

I get why someone like a Simmons or Tweed would sign on, and if the kids hope for a career in the entertainment field, I get that too - I just don't understand why anyone else on these shows would allow themselves to be part of a manufactured storyline.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

TMZ/Radar Online aren't running with any of this material, so who knows?

That said, it seems Tweed opened up about a breast cancer scare on the show "Doctors" this week. Maybe Gene was a little lax when it came to supporting her in a critical time in her life.

9. Mizzougrad96

This.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that last night too....
    Not sticking up for Simmons by any stretch. But he's also publicly been faithful and made it a point to present himself that way on the show.
    When he's with eye candy it's been presented as window dressing, as was the case with the meeting last night. Sophie tearing into her father made it seem that it's far more than that.
    That said, Tweed knew what she was getting into. The redecorating the house seemed nothing more than "Fuck you, Gene. I'm going to spend your money just because I can." She's a moneygrubber like he is and seems to feed off it.
    Telling last night to me was his remorse with the shrink one-on-one; and outright defiance that he doesn't like being told what to do when Shannon sat down with the two of them.

11. Mizzougrad96

They had Paul McCartney on Stern a year or two ago and he mentioned to Stern that he had gone to Simmons for financial advice years ago and said something to the effect of, "He's done more or better with his money than any of us have."

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw the interviews on his website... Tweed's pissed off, to say the least. But she's also spent money like it's tap water over the course of the show.
    She a bitter woman; why is she still there (other than the show)? Her bitterness, to me, makes her unsympathetic. She comes across as not even trying -- just get me through the contract of this show and I'm outta here.

Draft saved Draft deleted