1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gel or jell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, Nov 8, 2007.

?

When referring to a team coming together as a cohesive unit, which word is correct?

1. Gel

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Jell

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I have never used the word "jell" (or gel) in anything I've written for publication. Not saying anyone else should feel the same way; just personal preference.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Though according to AP, the online dictionary isn't the final word. It's Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition, and there are differences between that one and m-w.com.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I haven't either, I guess because I didn't know whether to use gel or jell and because both looked weird to me.

5. "You gellin?"
    "Gellin' like a felon!"
    "What about you, playa?"
    "I'm gellin like Magellan, I'm so gellin"
    "Anybody for some melon?"

6. accguy

accguy Member

I pick none of the above. It's a stupid dumb athlete/coach phrase that I refuse to use. It's right up there with "step up" and "I let the game come to me."

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not really. Jell is an actual word with an actual meaning. You can use it. Like any word in the English language, I would avoid overusing it, but it isn't just a coach cliche. If a basketball team has, say, three new starters in starting lineup, writing that they need time to jell is perfectly fine.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Without looking it up, I picked gel.

My reasoning was that gel was short for gelatin, which does relate to something getting firm. Jell seems short for Jello. A lot of times the dictionary is based on a survey of what educated people use. There are differences, like employe or employee.

9. i just split the difference and go with jel

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted