1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Gay' vs. 'Retarded' and suspensions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 31, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tom Jackson wasn't fired because he was telling the truth.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read about the "gay" comment from the ESPN talking head. I hadn't heard about Tom Jackson.

The person who used the "gay" comment should have been suspended. It was unprofessional before a microphone.

With the Tom Jackson comment, maybe he should have been disciplined also. I think there are a couple of mitigating circumstances. First, Tom Jackson apologized. Second, TJ made the comment in the heat of a disagreement and I presume he said it to Irvin's face. The other thing is the trash talking is part of the show - I don't like it but presumably this is done to attract the younger demographic who will go out and buy a lot of beer. The word is as bad, but the circumstances are different.

The other thing is the anchor made the comment as an individual. With the ESPN crew, it's a whole group who are trash talking so you kind of have to blame everybody.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think ESPN is gay and retarded...

4. Fire everyone and start over!!!

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The difference is, Brian Kinchen is an ESPNU peon, and Tom Jackson is Berman's buddy.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Also, didn't Jackson call Michael Irvin gay? That gives him a pass as far as I'm concerned...

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Calling someone Gay is a perjorative. It fits into sterotypes about macho, manliness and that gay males are somehow less than men. They are sub-male. It is a derogatory slur. When you consider the discrimination and hate homsexuals have experienced then it is easy to see how that goes over the line.

As far as retarded, it is in poor taste and not very nice, but it isn't the same. Calling someone retarded is another way to call them stupid. Not very classy and articulate, but it is hardly a slur. It is just mean to retarded people.

And by the way when you call someone retarded, the defense is just like a libel defense, truth is an absolute.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can watch The Office sometime.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FWIW, the "gay" quote in question wasn't aimed at someone, he was just talking about caressing the football when you catch it, right?

So it was inappropriate, but really not mean. More stupid.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I'm sforry I calledyou faggy.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

We all are, MU. We all are.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I don't like either of them. There are so many other words that could be used and the words in question here have too many other negative connotations.

I was going to suggest professional journalists surely could come up with better adjectives but then I realized the thread was about ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted