1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Thanks nobody.

Sounds like the WNBA has a rule, written or otherwise, that the ladies stay clothed until the locker room is void of reporters.

As for men's stuff. I've covered teams and leagues where you request a player and they are brought to you. Personally, I like that better. Maybe it's because I played in college. But man, when you're with the team as often as you are, the guys are your brothers. And there are fights, jabs, jokes and cries that you don't want aired. I hated have reporters come into the room. We always went out to the hall.

To this day, I prefer to operate that way. In a way, that locker room is their living room. But, I also understand if given the access, you have to take it. What you see or hear often makes for good color.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most of the women chose not to undress while the press is in the locker room. I've heard stories from some guys who covered the WNBA about certain members of the Seattle Storm flashing them (sorry guys, not Sue Bird), but in general the girls just keep their clothes on until the press leaves.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, it's not a big difference. You're making the point that straight men have to watch out for gay men "checking them out," questioning whether gay men have the professionalism to work in a locker room full of naked male athletes. You're asking if straight men might have some type of rationale to their paranoia. The answer is no.

The logic is the same: that gay people somehow have less of an ability to keep their attraction under wraps than straight people do.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Good point Buck. I supposed you're right.

The thing is this: I'm not gay. I've never been hit on by a gay man - not that I know of. Men only know what most men do - look at good looking women in public or in the bedroom.

However, there is the good point you make. Thinking about it, I'm sure I could shower with a female teammate if had to and not get aroused. I suppose it comes down to professionalism, not sexual orientation.

The other thing about the paranoia is this: Shows like Will & Grace where Jack checks out, comments on and drools over all men - straight or gay. It puts that character into straight men's minds.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Look at it this way: Getting hit on by a gay man is no different than getting hit on by a woman to whom you're not attracted. It's not creepy, it's not disgusting, it's just ... you're not attracted to them. So there's no threat, and certainly no reason to be paranoid.

Paranoia is for the ignorant (and the potheads ;D).

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's EXACTLY - as in almost word for word - what I told one of my gay friends when we first met in college. I'd simply say "hey, not interested, sorry." (fuck, I'd probably be flattered) And the thing is this: I'd still probably talk sports, beer, politics or whatever with the guy.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"The bravest man I ever knew was a homosexual." – Chuck Norris.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Buck. I gotta hit the hay. But I have to say, this is a good and interesting debate. I'm glad it stayed civil up until this point.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So Sue:

I like men. I go in locker rooms where there are naked men. I don't look, I don't care, I don't get little warm fuzzies. I keep my eyes up and I get my work done. Then I go home and never think about those naked men. I have my own.

I would guess it's the same deal for any gay man doing his job.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I don't think I could have an article of mine published on the same page as a gay colleague. I certainly couldn't sit in a boring-ass meeting run by the ME pertaining to more enterprise stories with a gay co-worker in the room. I would probably freak out, jump out the window and stop, drop and roll like I was on fire. I would then jump in front of a bus because, oh my god, a homosexual was within 15 feet of me. I've never been around someone who likes penis...unless you consider 51 percent of the world.

Seriously, though, i wouldn't care.

11. First: thank you, Buck. I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

Second: If we're going to play into the stereotype that is Jack, then let's keep going. In what world is a gay man who is THAT GAY, going to be a sportswriter? Unless he's covering Johnny fuckin' Weir, it's highly unlikely. I mean really, in all of the press boxes you've ever been in, how many times have you ever encountered a "Jack?"

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

None. Worked next to some gay sports reporters on press row, but they're hardly like "Jack."

Draft saved Draft deleted