1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Belmont coach out of job after revealing sexual orientation to team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Babyjay, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Team captain Sari Lin said she met with Strickland on Tuesday and he told her Howe had violated a university policy pertaining to individual sexuality.

"He basically said we have the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy and when she told us about the pregnancy, it violated that," Lin said. "She was telling us what her sexual preference is. He said you can hide your sexuality, but you can't hide a baby. He pretty much told me that once the baby was born she was going to get fired anyway . . ."

http://tnne.ws/35U

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Let me guess, Belmont is in the south?

First, she should have never resigned. She should have forced them to fire her.

Second, she hopefully had some type of correspondence via email with the admins of the school. Even if she keeps sending emails that are unanswered, that could be used to help prove her case.

If the University did fire her because of this child, then they should be sued back to the Civil War.

Chances are, though, this coach has no proof.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are lesbians in sports? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

WWJD?

Send all different people out into the desert, I guess.

5. As a private institution, I imagine Belmont is in the clear legally. Doesn't make it right, of course.

A lot of private Christian schools make all employees sign "belief statements" not only professing acceptance of J.C. as their personal savior but also promising to live by a relatively strict "moral" code. That wouldn't fly in the public sector or in corporate America, but religious institutions are a different animal.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She should have married her partner before she knocked her up.

That would have solved everything.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If she married a man and changed her name would they fire her for revealing her sexuality? DADT only ever goes one way.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Belmont is in Nashville. Definitely the South.

This is so stupid.

But it might just make a great country song.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Belmont is in Nashville and it WAS a religion-associated school (Southern Baptist, IIRC) but it actually has a relatively liberal slant to it. Not Cal-Berkley by any means, but certainly far more progressive than it's rival a mile down the road, David Lipscomb, aka Notre Dame for Christ of Christ. In fact, it's so relatively progressive that last year it bought out it's ties to the religious foundation that supported it (partly because the school has been adopted by the Music Row community, making it one of the most prestigious music industry schools in the country. Just ask Taylor Swift.)

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. School I cover makes its employees abide by such a code. They just have to be a little more sneaky about such things as lesbianism, alcoholism and cannibalism.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Belmont was already in the middle of a gay kerfuffle (I love using that word) because it has twice denied the formation of a gay student group:

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/beyond-the-hill-outed-belmont-university-administration-denies-formation-of-lgbt-student-group-1.1813772

It ain't just the South. It's a religious issue most places. I seem to recall that a coach at my wife's high school -- an all-girls Catholic school in Chicago -- either was fired or left, knowing she would be, when she and her partner decided to have a baby, thus making it known she's a lesbian. I can't find a link to the story, but that coach did an interview a while back about it.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does the school receive any sort of government funding?

Draft saved Draft deleted