1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker's Unemployment Stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

These are usually pretty interesting, and the first one this month is from an ex-sportswriter. It does have a happy ending.

http://gawker.com/5992314/unemployment-stories-vol-32-you-are-slowly-erased-from-the-lives-of-your-friends

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That series is a good idea.

I just want to say that this is not a dying industry. Newspapers will cease eventually but people still want news and information and celebrity gossip.

3. printit

printit Member

These are sad. I hope that "The Worst Decision of my Life" has someone he/she can talk to. Mentioning suicide twice in that piece is a pretty big cry for help. I was out of work once for only a couple weeks and it drove me crazy. Can't imagine what a couple of years would feel like. Good luck to anyone going through that.

4. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Yikes ... some of these stories have me seriously questioning the idea of quitting newspapers without having something lined up.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The sportswriter part about not seeing other people is a huge deal. When I left, my situation was different because I had my own family, and between school and other activities I would see people. But there was a big loss of identity there. I started meeting some guys for breakfast every Saturday morning, which is a total old-guy thing but is very necessary for me to be out there communicating with actual people about actual grown-up things.

6. ColemanSWMO

ColemanSWMO New Member

Well, that was disheartening to read. Silver lining I guess is I'm just a freelancer.

That being said, I have my doubts I'll make a career out of sports writing and am worrying myself silly on how to pay bills. I'm 24 with a degree in English and I feel as if my life is going nowhere compared to a lot of people I went to college with. I'm trying to figure out of there's a good job I can take locally that provides me enough time to freelance to my heart's content.

Draft saved Draft deleted