1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Am I troubled that good lawyers can what look like losing cases? No.

If you think you can win, appeal. I'd be stunned if there wasn't a stay or escrow in place that could've prevented chapter 11 in the event that's what the owner(s) wanted to do.

I trust that the entirety of the legal system, up to the Supremes, is not going to allow reasonable free speech to be crushed for no reason. (And if it was as simple as some suggest, why hasn't Soros put Fox out of business yet? All he has to do is fund a lawsuit right?)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I just have zero sympathy for any of these smug people. They felt they were above (or beneath) any kind of standards that most of us learn in journalism school. They absolutely enabled one another's worst behavior and justified it by deciding that everyone who was not them was "fake" and "phony." The matyrdom is hilarious now that the shitshow came to an end. Yes, Theil is an asshole, and sure, I have concerns that billionaires can silence publications they don't like. But guess what? That's an issue for our tort reform, not a reason to defend a garbage website. A gay prostitute tried to extort a Conde Nast executive and used Gawker as its thug to do its dirty work, and people are like "But what about all the biting political commentary they did?" AJ posted a video of a drunk woman being raped in a bathroom stall, her father called IN TEARS, begging him to take it down, and he responded with sneering contemt.

This is a group of people who never actually viewed any of their subjects as people. Journalism wasn't an interaction between reporter and subject, it was a snarky exercise in lame standup comedy. Tom Scocca hates Chris Jones and so John Cooke decides it will be funny to write that Chris' wife must be bad in bed. Imagine if this was your spouse, and someone justified it by saying "Eh, you're annoying on Twitter."

Deadspin did plenty of good work, (although let's not forget that in that Favre stuff, AJ completely burned Jenn Sterger after telling her he'd take her comments off the record and the deciding "I don't care. I'm publishing.")

Jezebel and Gizmodo and the video game site all served a purpose. But this sad parade that something truly great was lost is disingenuous.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Pilot, Riptide, JackReacher and 3 others like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gonna make a great 30 for 30.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Point of order: Jezebel, Gizmodo, Kotaku and the rest still exist. They might be publishing in Spanish soon, but there's no evidence they're going away. Unless I've missed some news, Gawker is the only one of the sites that's shutting down.

7. Double Down

Correct. And all those Gawker people will be redistributed within Univison.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For me, the ends don't justify the means, the way you seem to be suggesting. That is a dangerous way to go through life. Nobody is arguing with you about those sites having done some shitty thing. Pointing those things out--in even the most impassioned way you can --is an appeal to emotion. I get it. But it doesn't invalidate the fact that the way that particular lawsuit went down was the WRONG way to deal with the shittiness of Denton et al. And it sets the kinds of dangerous precedents we always eventually pay for.

You blow off the idea that a crappy state law that runs roughshod over the the first amendment was used by a very rich guy with a vendetta to accomplish the ends he wanted (destroy those sites) -- because in this case you found the people and sites he went after detestable (with good reason; again no one is suggesting otherwise). Who cares how someone accomplished it? They shut down those assholes.

Any problems I point out about the way it was done. ... Oh, "Well that is a tort reform problem."

It's actually not a tort reform issue. Rights like those guaranteed by the first amendment aren't supposed to be subject to the whims of public sentiment and the types of civil laws that stem from the changing winds of that sentiment. Free speech and freedom of the press pertain to universal civil rights, which are what make us free people. I'd point out that those rights are meaningless unless you are willing to defend even the kind of speech or publication you don't like. I'd argue that it's not a simple tort issue; it's a civil liberties issue, which is a much bigger deal to me.

Putting that aside, though, I just disagree with you. Not about Gawker having done some shitty things that have psychically hurt various people. When it comes to our civil liberties, I just find it dangerous when people are willing to suspend those rights when it comes to the people they don't like -- thinking that it ends there. Because it NEVER ends there. Our history is filled with examples. When the lines get blurred (as you are willing to allow because the ends justified the means in this case) it's how you end up with, for example, a Joseph McCarthy terrorizing people -- just to pick an example.

I also think that those kinds of backward, indirect ways of shutting down hateful speech or publication are never the best or most effective way, even if they are the most expedient. I believe that the best way to deal with ideas you disagree with isn't to just shout the person down by any means necessary. It's to CHALLENGE the person and use reason about why what they do (or have to say) is wrong.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Double Down

If your argument is that private sex tapes are "speech," then I'm going to disagree, now and forever. This pretzel that people keep twisting themselves into in an effort to pretend a private sex tape is "speech" is silly. It's not. I am absolutely fine with drawing the line there. Gawker had its opportunity to argue otherwise in court, and instead of taking it seriously, Dauliero and Carmichel treated it like a big fucking joke.

Terry Bollea is a terrible person. But even terrible people have rights.

Ice9 likes this.
  10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I think it's "silly" to argue that the publication of a private sex tape isn't "speech." Not even Hogan made that claim, as far as I'm aware. Whether such speech is protected is a different matter.

One might also say: "[Gawker] is a terrible [publication]. But even terrible [publications] have rights." How we resolve those competing claims is a pretty tricky question.

I assume all of you that are treating as the Gospel the decision of a not-very-well-respected state-court judge will be equally deferential to the court's decision if (really, when) it's reversed on appeal?

11. The Big Ragu

Yes, it is speech. If he wanted to argue that they obtained the tapes illegally or that they stole them or that they did anything illegal in obtaining those tapes -- or whatever creates that nebulous line of "private" for you -- he should have. In fact, he never put the guy who made the tapes onto the stand and never brought anything resembling an action in those terms -- either criminally or civilly.

What he did was use a shit state civil law that makes it illegal to embarrass someone. The law itself is an abomination (and should be unconstitutional). It opens the door for any public figure -- say a politician -- to try to stifle things they don't want anyone to see. Just call it an "invasion of privacy" and say it embarrassed you.

You don't get to decide what is OK to publish -- what is private or off limits and what isn't. You draw the line at a sex tape that Hulk Hogan says he found embarrassing. It is private (forget that he is a public figure and all that). I agree with you that it is the kind of thing that appeals to the worst in people, if you want to make that argument. It is why I never watched the tape, never would and never look at it when a famous person finds themselves with a tape like that getting out or some photos they don't want out there.

That said, just realize that when you decide where that line is (with your private, not speech distinction), you open the door for the next person to decide where they want their lines (and exceptions) to be. It's the kind of emotional appeal that fascists and demagogues use to take their shortcuts with our civil liberties. There are A LOT of people out there without your sensibilities. When you decide that the ends justify the means, if the next guy decides that he wants to deny say muslims (or anyone else) some basic civil liberty, you should know that he detests them and their behavior just as much as you detested Nick Denton and his behavior. ... and the ends justify the means for him, too -- just as it did for you when it had to do with Gawker.

I find that dangerous. We have those basic rights in place to protect all of us, and I believe you need to be pretty strident about defending those rights (obviously) for them to actually have any teeth.

GBNF and OscarMadison like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

I should have said this. ... The CONTENT isn't what makes something speech or information or publishable material. You wouldn't care half as much about the shitty things that Gawker has done if we weren't talking about their use of a free press, and the things they chose to publish. You care precisely because it is actual speech (or in their case publication) -- and they very often crossed the line into speech / publication that you found offensive.

That is why I scratched my head a bit when you tried to qualify this as NOT being speech, or in this case really, a free press issue (which is how I have seen it).

Take away the content. And think about what we are talking about. What they did was disseminate something (information) via a website (i.e publication). When you say, well, "that isn't speech," all I can think is that you find the actual publication so offensive that you want to create an exception to it being protected by freedom of the press. So you are denying it is even what it is. Because this is so inarguably a free press / free speech issue to me that I honestly can't see why you'd think I'd have to twist myself into a pretzel to see that so clearly.

If you wanted to argue there should be exceptions to freedom of speech or freedom of the press, it would be one thing (I'd still largely disagree). I still default to the fact that when you start making those exceptions (for the obvious scumbags), where your line is (about what is offensive or what is valuable information) and where the next guy's line is are going to be two different places. And then you may as well not have the right. That is why I am so strident in conversations like this. Not because I think that the people at Gawker were a bunch of good fellas.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted