1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatlin works out for Texans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2679967

Sorry if this is a D_B

2. stevenash

stevenash Member

its cool

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How does this work? If Gatlin is suspended by the IAAF or USA Athletics for doping, how does he play in the NFL?

Or is it ok to play in the NFL unless you get caught by the league itself?

This troubles me.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This looks like something out of "Playmakers"

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He was in no way connected with the league when he was caught, therefore he is only banned from IAAF sactioned events. The NFL, obviously, is not one of those events. No different than a football player playing under a suspended sentence or while on probation.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since the NFL isn't a member of the IAAF or USATF they can do whatever they want. As long as he doesn't fail a drug test administered by the League With The Best Drug Policy In The World, he's clean...

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't see the connection with a suspended sentance or probation here. If a guy commits a crime, that is serious, but only affects the image of the league. If he's been banned by another sport, that he would be able to just go play in another league just seems wrong to me. I think the integrity of the league would be hurt.

I'm well aware of the lack therof in the NFL, but this smells different to me. It's as though the NFL is saying, "Hey, baseball kicked you out? Well if you can run a 4.2 40, we'll take you!"

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought perhaps they were working out Larry Gatlin, country singer and former University of Houston receiver.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody at the league office came to the conclusion that signing him would be, you know, a bad idea image-wise.

My guess is the NFL doesn't have a policy covering something like this because it's never come up.

But they'll have one soon.

Of course, letting a drug cheat play for the Texans can't be any bigger an embarassment to the league than the Texans themselves.

10. statrat

statrat Member

These are the days when I actually miss the XFL...he would have been a perfect fit for that pro wrestling marketing failure league ::)

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The fact is the NFL has a different set of standards for its drug policy than WADA and the IAAF and therefor a suspension in one of those federations or associations applies only to competitions that they sanction. Even punishments are different. While I agree with you in a perfect world Gatlin should not be able to join up with the NFL because of his suspension, the fact is you cannot suspend him from making a living in a completely different sport, especially if he tests positive under the NFL's drug testing. If the Texans want to take the PR hit, so be it.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

When Tommy left the barroom, not a Gatlin boy was standing.

Draft saved Draft deleted