1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gates to AP: Take that photo down!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Aside from everything else, there's this: AP provides the photo; it's up to the newspapers and their assessment of their readership in their job as gatekeepers whether to run it.

Of course, with all the news aggregation and everything else these days, that argument is much weaker than it was. Meanwhile, gatekeeper has become a dirty word as well. "Don't let those arrogant news bastards censor the news. Give people all the information and let them decide."

Of course, the oddity in this situation is that many of the people who say we don't need the "liberal mainstream media" being our gatekeepers anymore are the same people who don't think this photo should be out there anywhere.

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

a decent little story on such things...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/special_reports/war_photos/history.html

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

All other things aside, I really don't think that the photo is very good, quality and composition wise.

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

This was the point I wanted to make. Ethical considerations aside, it's not a particularly good photograph.

5. KG

KG Active Member

When I finally saw the photo, I was surprised that was what had people in an uproar. It was hard to make anything out.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Me, personally, I don't think I could have run that photo after the family asked me not to. Probably why I don't have a job where I'm making those decisions. But after reading AP's lengthy explanation in E&P, I can respect what AP did.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What happens when a parent of a kid that drops a TD pass that could have won a game doesn't want the play mentioned in the story?

Or some family member doesn't want the picture of a car crash scene to run?

8. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I'd agree if it was just that photo in a vacuum, but they released it as part of a photo story. In context, even though it's not a particularly strong photo, I think it's pretty important to the story.

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_13267099

Photographer Julie Jacobson narrates a slideshow of the events -

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_13267099

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many of those opposed to the AP photo looked for it online? I would think most have seen it.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The only day of my life that I was ashamed to be a journalist was when our paper ran a photo on the front page of a single-car wreck involving 4 teens. 3 of them died and you could clearly see all 3 of them scattered around what was left of the car. Blood and body parts everywhere. This was a small town paper where most people knew these 3 boys.

Imagine how the 4th kid -- who was driving and survived -- dealt with this at the ripe age of 17? Do you think there was one single person in town that wanted to see that image? I was embarrassed that our paper did that and I was embarrased to be an employee that day.

The war photo is a little bit different though in my mind. It is telling a story of humanity and lets people know what is really going on over there. I don't think you can compare a car accident of people dying for no good reason with a war photo of people dying for a cause (well, whatever "cause" that really may be but that's another discussion for another day).

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agree. It's pretty poor.

And if the family had asked not to run it, I wouldn't. I don't think we need to prove that all's not well in war. And when you add that it's not a quality photo, too, it would have given me even more reason to not print it.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I see a difference in a car crash scene and the actual death itself.

You can tell a story without illustrating it.

Sometimes AP runs photos for the sake of the story behind it. I can't remember the subject, but some Hollywood dude had a story, and he was a friend of Tom Cruise. Might have been Jamie Foxx.

Cruise happened by and used the photog's camera to take a photo. AP ran the photo and made a big deal in the story that it had been taken by Cruise.

It was a ho-hum photo, but it generated more interest than the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted