1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse to Buy Boston Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 8, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/media/more-cuts-at-the-herald/

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A strong Herald makes the Globe better. Besides the big three cities, what real two-paper towns are left? The Philly papers run each other’s copy now. The York papers are both owned, or at least run, by Gannett. Boston and Detroit are about it.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

To my knowledge Crawfordsville, Indiana, Washington, D.C. (not sure if this was included as one of the Big Three) and Trenton, New Jersey.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is somebody at Gatehouse, some individual, who has the all time record for most firings in a career. Can you imagine getting used to this? Buying a newspaper, going to such paper for the first meeting where you lie to staff members about how excited Gatehouse is about the acquisition, then firing 30 or so people a month later. What a life.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “What would you say you do here?”

Fredrick likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

Fredrick, Gatehouse is no longer waiting a month or even a couple of days. In OKC staff was called in for the sale announcement. At the end of the meeting people were told to check their e-mail. Approximately 35 employees were told to leave immediately.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You mean the day they bought the newspaper they already were ready with layoffs? Creepy. You know, reporters out there are too good for the companies they work for, and the suits of course. These people in "many" instances are working 60-70 and getting paid for 40; they are giving 2 weeks notice when they get other jobs. They are being good employees despite how this is not reciprocated. In most instances no raises, in some instances furloughs and ALWAYS the threat of being canned with NO NOTICE. Very very sick. p.s. I know I know suits. We're lucky to have a job is what you've told us.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That was Lean Dean's MO. In the late '90s he bought papers and had it written into the deal that the seller had to do the layoffs. At the paper I was at, he took over on Nov. 1. The staff cuts were done on Oct. 31. Happy Halloween.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It was Digital First doing the firing at the Herald.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s as bad as Paxton’s Monday morning massacre in Durham when it acquired the Herald Sun.

11. LanceyHoward

Do you think Paxton is about to give up on the High Point group of papers?

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Don’t know. Hadn’t thought about it. Have you heard anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted