1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse and the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 21, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Those papers will have Super Bowl coverage. It will just be AP copy instead of staff driven stories with a local angle. And that's going to hurt those papers.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What? That doesn't make any sense. Gatehouse won't shell out to send a reporter from a paper in the coverage area to the Super Bowl, but they'll send someone from a paper in Ohio? I would love to know the reasoning behind that decision.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Because a bunch of people in the game will be in the Hall of Fame one day? I dunno. ;)

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I understood that but conveyed it wrong in my post. The local angle stories are best part of Super Bowl Coverage. The AP folks won't know the right questions to ask of the players and the stories will be in that bland staight AP copy style.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I absolutely agree.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As usual, you prove that you don't know what you're talking about. The three largest dailies in the chain staff the Patriots regularly, and this year they finally got on the same page (somewhat) and started sharing content.

Those numbers also are a tad misleading in the sense that Milford, Waltham and Dedham are considered "editions" of the MetroWest Daily News, which bumps its circ to about 40k.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not only do the AP scribes down in Arizona not know what questions to ask the players, they don't know what kind of stories the folks in Quincy and Brockton have been reading all season.

Every time I've ever followed a team that made it to the big stage, the national stories were all stuff I'd read about all season long. The local papers were the ones providing new angles.

8. Boom_70

Wicked - Do any of these area's have access to the Globe or the Herald?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, both papers saturate the respective markets, except for Norwich. Which means GateHouse's dailies can forget about anyone even considering buying them at the racks and in the stores that week. Why should I, as a consumer, waste money on a purchase on a newspaper that isn't covering the biggest story in these parts in a long time?

10. Boom_70

Unless your son or daughter is playing for local HS your right.

Kind of further embarrisment for Milford given that their favored son Howie Long is part of telecast.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I gotta believe most people in those coverage areas are reading the Globe and Herald, too.

I lived in Waltham for two years and almost never red it, but I am not a local.

Even in Norwich, the fans pick up the Globe and Herald. I always read the Globe when I lived there. Same thing when I was in Peabody Mass.

Now, being in upstate New York, I sometimes dash over the state border into Vermont for my Globe/Herald fix.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This just pisses me off.

Draft saved Draft deleted