1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas prices

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tucsondriver, May 3, 2008.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

At $4 a gallon on the West Coast and pretty close to that almost everywhere else, gas prices are hurting those who make the least, most.
    And that's us.
    I can save a few bucks a week by riding my bike to work. Would that limit my ability to get around as fast as I could in a car? You bet. And would I show up looking presentable after huffing it up a hill? Probably not. But I've gotta eat, with skyrocketting gas prices eating into what's left of my income, something's gotta give.
    Are we obligated to show up for work with a functioning vehicle? I know it's one of those things that's always been understood, yet not directly stated. What do you think? Would greatly appreciate if some editors out there would chime in too.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually dropped a few cents to $3.39 this week in NNJ.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am there!

Of course I'll blow at least two gallons round-trip, but what the hell.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually saw $3.38 on Rte. 21 in Newark yesterday

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dropped two cents to $3.89 here yesterday.

6. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

3.39 in Central Jersey this morning

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get out to the East Coast to buy gas when I'm there in a month.

Its been steady here this week ... $3.69.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I live in an East Coast state...$3.75.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

went with little shockey to fill up his elantra this morning. 46 effin' bucks! 3.98 a gal for regular unleaded. cripes. :eek: :eek: :eek:

guy who lives across the street just turned in his pilot for the hybrid toyota prius. still breaking it in but it's gotten 38 miles per gallon thus far and he expects it to get up to 40.

that's the way to go. little shockey's car gets about 28 mpg, not bad. but mrs. shockey can't wait for the lease to be up on her pilot in the summer of '09. she's loved her pilots as her last two vehicles, but enough's enough with the gas guzzlers. i mean, the pilot is damn good as far as suv's go, but the high-teens in mpg is just throwing money away at these prices.

it's effin' insane. thank goodness i'm no longer commuting to the office. it was 500 miles per week, plus tolls. i'd be bankrupt by now. :'( :'( :'(

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

$3.31 in one spot on Route 46 today. Cars were backed up five or six deep. Funny what people will do to save about a buck.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

methinks it's just a way for some folks to brag, "i filled up over the weekend for $3.31 a gallon!" ;D ;D ;D

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Spent $50 to fill up for the first time on Friday. I hope it lasts me three weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted