1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas prices spike after Ike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 14, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I like the occasional separate threads on things that are covered in running threads. It's kind of like reading Detective Comics and Batman every month. They're both Batman comics, and sometimes they bleed into each other with the same story, but it's often two separate takes on Batman. It's almost like the Ultimate universe vs. the regular Marvel Universe. Fun for everyone.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It stilll won't go to what they were.... they'll find another excuse to inflate prices before they get there -- like winter blend, a sneeze in the Azores or something of that nature.

3. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I drove about 40 miles to a football game yesterday and gas prices were all over the place. The station near me was $3.61, up 20 cents in two days. I saw prices from $3.44 to $3.83, including one set of stations next to each other where one was $3.49 and the other $3.79. Just f-ing goofy.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They've pulled this shit no matter who's in office. Or are you forgetting the gas lines and soaring prices during the Carter administration?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you are going to use the "no matter who's in office" line, you might as well be accurate when describing the times when there were lines at the pumps.

That being said, I think panic and rumors only feed the beast.

Before I left work last night, an e-mail from a colleague read "For those needing gas, might want to fill up on your way home. Reports of stations running out and putting hoods on their tanks."

So I take a deep breath, start home, and see gasoline available at the FIRST station I come to . . . for $3.69.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Report in the paper here today said the refineries in Texas City were not damaged by the storm.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Price went up .50 here. Fucking gougers.

8. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

Left Montreal about 3 p.m. Friday, saw gas at $1.26 a litre (the equivalent of $4.78 CDN a U.S. gallon).

Drove to an assignment about 2 1/2 hours away (damn, should have filled all the way up).

Returned to the city about 1:30 a.m. - it's $1.51 a litre ($5.73 a gallon). That's regular unleaded - my precision German engineering, unfortunately, takes the good stuff. So it's even more.

Man, that's a jump. But from what I can see, we're not nearly as far and away from you guys as we used to be, back when it was well worth driving 50 miles over the border (and taking into account the gas used) just to fill up.

If I filled up my roughly 17-gallon tank all the way, would cost well over $100 now.
    My husband's truck? Probably closer to $175. Man, that's a lotta dough.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Hello. Friends. Exxon-Mobil here.
    Just was wondering how you like our newest money laund- I meant public service. Commercials yapping about our efforts in energy advancement. Thought it would make you feel better. We're not, though. Ten platforms in the gulf that need repaired? We've got a tough month ahead. Thanks for your understanding about $4.50 a gallon just as oil drops to near $2.20 a gallon comparisons ($100 a barrel.)

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Would this be an apt time to point out that it doesn't matter how much oil we suck out of the Gulf of Mexico or ANWR if we don't have the refineries to do anything with it?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Drill, baby, drill!

12. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

Alright, gas should drop the exact same amount it spiked in one day then...right? Oh, it will take two months to drop back that far...what a bunch of a-holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted