1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas out on the Internets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 3, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So I got this email on the internets. I just hate getting chain mail from friends, but what the hell... it saves me time.
    His figures might be off, but Gas prices are too high anyway...

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I can¢t see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I usually hate those chain emails too, but I also received it. And I'll probably comply. Fucking gas prices, it's getting out of hand.

3. Our gas (this afternoon) shot up from $2.93 to 3.39!

:eek:

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

5. statrat

statrat Member

Snopes says it won't work:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Edit: Dirk beat me to it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jebus.... you lose a refinery?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No, no of course it won't "work," but it makes a statement.

I like the idea of Americans banding together to do something like this simply because we can.

If we're capable of doing something like this, we're capable of picking a day to scale back usage. That would be the next step.

Why not? I'll do it. And I'll get Mr. Lugs to do it.

I also like it as sociology experiment on power of the internet.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good thing gas didnt climb up after the election...

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn. Forget not buying gas on May 15, I would start that protest now. Wow.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I think I'll just rent a mule for the rest of the month.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I could only harness the energy these damn squirrels have in going out of their way to get seed out of the feeder instead of the cracked corn I set out on the ground... I could drive for days

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[gascompany]Fine. Don't buy it May 15. You'll just end up needing it on the 16th.[/gascompany]

Draft saved Draft deleted