1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith's Agassi piece discussed on-air

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 29, 2006.

1. A while back, we were wondering on these boards what Agassi thought of the story Gary Smith did on him.

I'm sure many of you saw this, but the announcer working with McEnroe (Macatee? His name eludes me) said during the fourth set tonight that, upon reading the piece, Andre was "amazed" he had said what he'd said, but then that he felt it was "cathartic" to finally publicly explain long-buried thoughts about his childhood, early career, and so on.

That is all.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Ted Robinson was in the booth with McEnroe.

3. Teddyyy. Right. Thank you.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Smith's story was also mentioned in a huge Sunday L.A. Times centerpiece on Agassi.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Correct:

Agassi's transformation was broken down insightfully in a recent extended profile by Sports Illustrated's Gary Smith. So how did Agassi enjoy being psychoanalyzed in print?

"I wish it would have happened when I was 13," he said, laughing. "It might have saved me some dramas."

6. zman82

zman82 Member

i thought smith's piece on agassi was some of the best writing i've seen in SI in a while. i could undertstand if he didn't like it entirely, but it was a great insight into his life and psyche.

7. One question --
    is it your happening and does it freak you out?

8. Is this supposed to make sense to the general sports-journalist public?

Draft saved Draft deleted