1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

It seems that he's the consensus top writer in our industry based on what people on here have said about him and based on the incredible stories he writes.

I'm just curious -- does anybody have any biographical info on him? I've got this picture in my head of the guy and where he came from that I'm sure is way off (they always are).

What's his story?

For the fun of it -- I picture an older man, in his 60s. Very grandfatherly, with white hair, who's been doing this since Abner Doubleday was around. Like I said, probably way off...

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just dug up this link.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2085059/
    "How Gary Smith became America's best sportswriter."

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

... is not dead.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

There was some biographical info on that thread, "gary smith does it again" a while ago. Which was provided by boots, which led to the thread's spiraling down the toilet. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just remember, Gary Smith got his ass kicked on the preps beat in Philly!

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

... has never eaten my BBQ.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He has been utterly unscathed despite that first Tillman piece he wrote.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Perhaps because he's really fucking good, despite that first Tillman piece he wrote.

9. I've met Gary several times. Nice guy and one of the most unassuming people you can meet in this business. But man, does that guy know how to work a story.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Seems about due for another one soon.

11. ...has never been in my kitchen.

YES! I've always wanted to do that! It doesn't take much to amuse me...

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

as i often say at work: as long as i laugh at my own jokes, why the hell should i care?. because in the long run, it's all about me. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted