1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gary smith does it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Allegations of assholishness, after a non-explanation explanation like that? No way!

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I didn't take Boots' post that way. When you've been around for a while, it's normal to look in wonder at where some people are. Some, you could predict them being very successful, but you'd be lying if you said you knew all along they'd gain legend status. There's one guy I knew early in his career who just suuucked, but the thing is, he worked his ass off and made himself very good, and now he's famous. Someone who saw this from a distance might be bewildered by that writer's rise, but I got to see it up close as the guy worked his way from clueless to very solid, and then at his next stop he worked very hard to get from very solid to star. I see his stuff now and I just feel good, but I can't help remembering him struggling to write 10 intelligible inches or me being extremely frustrated trying to edit his utter crap two decades ago. I took it as Boots just kind of enjoying having watched Smith's career from Act I.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he seemed a bit snippy someone asked for more detail, in my opinion.

This place never ceases to amaze.

4. I figured Boots just read his biography somewhere and was showing off his reading comprehension skills.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, Ragu, you've always been one my favorite posters here and boots often rubs me the wrong way, too, but lighten up. I don't think he was trying to pull the superiority card. He was just rememebering way, way back when and noting how far Smith has come from his days as a prep writer struggling to break a big story. I kind of liked hearing a little about GS's background.

6. boots

boots New Member

All I did was bring to light how much Gary has improved over the years. I'm so freakin tired of the aholes on here wanting to start crap when there is absolutely no need for it. I don't understand it one bit.
    And as for being snippy Johnny. You are so wrong its unbelievable. Lighten up. It could defuse an issue before it ever becomes one. I took your comment personally which is something I shouldn't do. You're bigger than that, at least I thought you were. You owe me an apology but I figure it won't come so I'll deal with it.
    I've known Gary a lot longer than some of you have been around. It's not a big deal. I'm extremely happy and very proud to know him. But that's not the issue. The issue is people just jumping in starting crap for no reason. Why?
    Enough is enough.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Not that I care, but Boots brings it upon himself when he tells someone who asks a legit question that there's nothing to explain. Pretentious, condescending, whatever. Maybe the guy had not had the pleasure of reading Gary Smith yet. So it's perfectly reasonable to ask someone to explain. Expound, actually.

Next time, just expound for the masses who want more information. Or don't bother, and let someone else do the honors.

Maybe the guy is 17. Or 23. Or doesn't subscribe to SI. But it wasn't a stupid question, and I also thought the response started off wrong, conveying an attitude that the questioner was embarrassingly ignorant.

It's never a stupid question if someone is simply asking to be enlightened, and not everyone lives and breathes to eat sports 24/7.

And remember, these days, it's better to be pleasant than intelligent. I don't like it, but that's what is being shoved down our throats. Ask your boss.

8. boots

boots New Member

I forget sometimes the youth on here. My answer wasn't meant to demean only to inform.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well said.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep it on topic. Leave your petty rivalries elsewhere.

11. Frankly, I can't wait to read it. Mine doesn't come til Thursdays, if I'm lucky.

12. My favorites of all time were of course the Radio story and the one about the kid who couldn't get into college to play basketball because he had a sexual assault allegation or conviction against him ... it's been 10 years since I read either one ... I need to buy his book ...

Draft saved Draft deleted