1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sheffield knows why African-Americans are disappearing from MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, well, since you are going to continue to tap dance instead of admit there is indeed a ridiculous double standard when it comes to political correctness, let's get back to the topic at hand......

Considering I grew up playing stickball, I see what you're saying. But we also have to see the changes that took place in the 80's where many of the schoolyards many of us played in were locked down during the crack era of the 80's, and places to play became far and few between.

But I also feel that baseball when handed the reigns from the Negro Leagues did a poor job of keeping interest in the game to the African American community. The game didn't suddenly become more expensive or harder.

If point A is true -- why has football, an outdoor sport that required school yards to play in, grown in popularity exponentially in the black community?

What does point two have to do with the decline in interest in inner cities over the last 25 years?

Could it be this simple -- the scholarships available are in football and basketball and that's why black kids flock to those sports?

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Doesn't my post address those things?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'll throw in my dos centavos:

I find NFL games unwatchable primarily for the excessive celebrations after every play. But the showboating is tailor-made for television and its core audience of brain-dead adults and impressionable, ADD kids. Same with basketball.

In baseball, about the only showboating you see is when hitters pose after a home-run swing. But it doesn't really make much of a ripple for TV. Other than that, you've got boring face shots when a batter steps out between pitches.

So which will most kids likely latch onto?

Small wonder EA Sports includes a brawl function in its baseball video game.

Anyone else agree?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I forgot, questions that are deeper than "what color is the sky" appparantly confuse you so let me try again.

If the reason less blacks are playing baseball is, in part, due to school yards being closed during the crack 80's-- and thus inner city blacks had less places to play -- why did, during the same era, the popularity and participation numbers of blacks with regards to football explode?

Wouldn't the fields being shut down also preclude blacks from playing football and for that matter, to a lesser degree, basketball?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, this little battle has been entertaining.

I'm not sure if there is truly merit in what Sheffield is saying or not. I can see the argument that Latino players are easier to control financially because of the contracts teams are able to sign them to, but I wonder if teams are truly turning away players with the talent to help them based on race. Not saying it is impossible, just that I have doubts.

Sheffield also seems to be talking about more than financial control here. That is the point where I think his comments are offensive to Latinos. Is he not saying that they are less likely to stand up for themselves and think for themselves than black players?

I agree with Zag that the backlash against Sheffield has been muted a bit because he is also a member of a minority. If a white player said EXACTLY what Sheffield said, that baseball is favoring Latinos over black players, I think he would be torn to shreds for it, probably by people from both minority groups.

And really, wouldn't the advantages of signing players born outside the United States impact all American players, not just black players?

But let's assume a white player making the same comments as Sheffield was completely innaccurate. Would that save him from being torn to shreds?

It's a valid question, Big Chee, whether you want to dodge it or not.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Goalmouth - interesting you mention "ADD kids" . A lot of studies have shown that stand around sports like baseball are not suited for kids with ADD. Their brain needs the stimulation of more fast paced sports like football or basketball.

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Gary Sheffield speaks TRUTH to POWER!!!!!

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Not really. It maybe hard for you to believe, but if someone is white and says something that maybe correct (as I believe in Sheff is), we won't beef about it, especially if it comes to the defense of African Americans as whites used to during the Civil Rights movement.

I'm still wondering who are these black organizations that protest that doesn't include Jesse or al.

Sometimes you guys overhype things.

10. boots

boots New Member

African American kids in the inner city don't care for baseball. It's that simple.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Now I know why they have fences in front of Little League dugouts. It's too keep the kids in.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. And I think the backlash would come from many groups in the hypothetical situation I mentioned. I assume a lot of it would come from whites.

And as far as whether or not Sheffield is correct, I think there is some truth in what he said, but there is also a component that is insensitive at best. Then again, this is a guy known for speaking out without thinking things through first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.