1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sanchez: Hall of Fame ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, Sep 21, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You have to take position into account.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Agreed . Not arguing your point which is a good one. Just making the observation
    that Fisk performance at late age off the charts.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

OK, but based on OPS-plus he's about 30 percent worse as a hitter at 33 than he was at 31. His Offensive WAR is lower than at any season since 2011. That's a huge drop-off.

He got paid based on his ability to approach if not repeat 2014, and hasn't been nearly that good in any other season of his career.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Munson was better than a league average hitter his last few years. He hit 308 in 1977 and 297 in 1978. He was hitting 288 when he died. But yeah, his power had definitely evaporated. I'm a Sox fan, but I still think he belongs in the HOF.

5. Steak Snabler

First, I said almost two years, which meant 1978 and 1979. He was legitimately great in 1977, but tailed off massively after that.

Munson's OPS-plus in 1978 was 101 (1 percent above league average). His OPS-plus in 1979 was 95 (5 percent below league average).

And again, he had ZERO power by that time (.373 SLG in 1978, .374 in 1979).

Carlton Fisk, Gary Alexander, Darrell Porter, Jim Sundberg and Bob Stinson were all better hitting-catchers in the American League in 1978.

Porter, Brian Downing, Lance Parrish and Charlie Moore were all better in 1979 (Fisk was hurt most of that year).

Munson gets the halo effect because he died, but he was no longer a great player by that time. The idea that he would have done enough to become a Hall of Famer after his death is not rational.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He got paid based on his perceived value relative to the other players available to play his position, just like everyone else.

Earthman likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't know, man, a catcher who can hit .290? Back then? You're right, his OPS was league average, but that prism didn't exist back then. People looked at BA above all. I think if he was still catching through the 1981 World Series and got to 2000 hits (he finished with 1558) I think he would have made the Hall. The guy was a 7-time AS in 10 full seasons, with an MVP Award and a ROY and three GGs.

How was his catching when he passed?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We shouldn't be looking at league averages when we are talking about catchers. We need to look at them compared to other catchers. Which makes Martin and McCann's contracts reasonable in this market.

9. Steak Snabler

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Munson's arm was pretty much shot by then. He had been trying to quicken his release, often dropping down to a three-quarter or side-arm motion. Seemed like a lot of throws tailing off to the second base side.

It says a lot that they're both among the group of catchers who have 400 plate appearances.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

McCann is still a very serviceable catcher with under contract with a reasonable salary. After age 33
    Jason Variteck had at least 4 productive years with the Sox and contract wise when adjusted was probably paid around where McCann is now.
    It's a good problem for The Yankees to have and their just not going to give him away.

12. Steak Snabler

Draft saved Draft deleted