1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Coleman RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 27, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I feel horrible but damn that made me laugh.

At this rate, Charlotte Rae and Conrad Bain are going to be the last ones standing, period.

And am I the only one who heard this news and became even more skeptical over how sick Bret Michaels has been the last few weeks?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He didn't die of a stroke. It was different.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good comedic chops. Even in the stuff he did following Strokes.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's curious that Gary Coleman's relationship with Conrad Bain appears to have been very different than the one Todd Bridges has enjoyed.

One of the links within a TMZ story sourced Bain, saying he had not spoken to Coleman recently -- not in years, actually -- but that his thoughts were definitely with the critically injured actor now.

Bridges, on the other hand, is open and vocal about how good Bain has always been to and for him.

I remember hearing Bain on a TV talk show, years ago, being clearly caring about Bridges (and tearing up as Bridges came on stage and the two hugged, with feeling, even as it was obvious that Bain didn't like the problems the kid was involved in back then, when Bridges was having really serious run-ins with the law over guns, drugs and alleged attempted-murder charges.

I recently also saw Bridges on another TV talker, looking and sounding very genuine as he spoke about Bain. Apparently, they've had a pretty close relationship throughout the years -- Bridges said Bain was and has been more of a father than his own father ever was -- and told how, even now, with Bain aged 87, they usually speak on the phone at least once or twice a week, and still see each other periodically, too. Bridges is now apparently happily married and the father of two kids.

Bridges goes over much of this in his recently published book, too.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think I've seen Conrad Bain since Strokes went off the air.

That's a pretty cool story though. I get the sense that Bridges, all things considered, is making a real attempt to turn his life around.

The last time I saw Plato in anything was some straight to Skinemax feature when I was still in college or just out of college.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be fair, she hasn't worked much since her death.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, she's been lazy like that. :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought Coleman's official cause of death was a brain hemorrhage?

Regardless, Bret Michaels has been thru more in the last month than Jack Bauer in the eight seasons of 24. And yet he keeps showing up on live TV. Not to Bretjack this, but it was starting to smell funny on Wednesday and now it's really starting to reek.

Anyway, back to poor Gary. How's this for the coldest lede to an obit ever?

PROVO, Utah – Gary Coleman, the adorable, pint-sized child star of the smash 1970s TV sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes" who spent the rest of his life struggling on Hollywood's D-list, died Friday after suffering a brain hemorrhage. He was 42.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure copy editors across the country will be arguing about the spelling of "Diff'rent" tonight.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was waiting on the definitive confirmation of Coleman's death . . .

[​IMG]

. . . but then I remembered that the Munchkin Coroner, Meinhardt Raabe, died a few weeks ago.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Z-man,

He just died. Quit messin' with him.

o-<

Draft saved Draft deleted