1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garry Howard out at Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by formere, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

NYknight's posting history makes it clear he has an agenda so as I advise with a lot of things: Take it with the ol' grain of salt.

I've come to know Garry a little through APSE and he's a good guy. Never worked for him or with him so I can't comment on that. But having put a decade in management behind me I can say for sure that if you spend enough time as a manager in this business, you will end up with some people who don't think too favorably of you. I guess that holds true in any business.

Somewhere along the line, Garry pissed off NYknight. That his only posts on here are about Garry (and many say the same thing) put his credibility in the dumper.

2. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Incorrect. Bill Windler ran the Milwaukee department for all those years.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good points Moddy. The bottom line is that another guy with a wealth of experience is no longer in the business. Like him or not, that should concern anyone who is still making a coin in this profession. Many of those who have criticized him don't have a quarter of the talent or the experience that Garry D. Howard has. If he's been relieve of his duites, no matter what the reasons, it should send up warning signals about the state of this industry.
    If someone could be so kind as to send me either a PM or post what "black Michael Scott" means, it would be appreciated.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It means you are as ignorant of pop culture as you are many other things.

5. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Here is what is great about Garry Howard:

People talk about him.

Frankly, if I'm Gaary I'm loving the criticism. For him, the notoriety is good. I mean, plain vanilla, obscure sports editors are a dime a dozen. There are hundreds of resumes like that floating around.

Garry is black, but no different than white guys who allegedly are terrible at what they do but keep getting better jobs. Surely Garry isn't the only sports editor who keeps climbing the ladder despite supposedly bad work, but as far as I can tell, he is the only sports editor routinely eviscerated on this board. But that just may be good for him.

Just as there are women who are attracted to bad boys, there are news hiring managers who are intrigued by reporters and editors who seemingly are controversial and are much talked about. Judging by the comments on this board. Garry Howard fits that description exactly.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Close, but no, Cigar.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Because someone doesn't know something doesn't make them ignorant. Not asking and just assuming is worse. If pop culture is your thing, more power to you. I don't know what is meant by the reference and I asked for a definition. What's your issue with that?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe someone not knowing something is the actual definition of ignorant, Drip.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If only there was some mechanism to look up pop culture references, so you could understand the context of the comment.

It's a shame that, with all of our technology, nothing like that exists.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL you're right Ace. Still don't know what a Black Mike Scott is.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sorry to disappoint but I actually did use "all of our technology" and what I saw didn't equate with Garry D. Howard.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, then you do know what it means, you just think it doesn't apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.