1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard to be Jags starting QB; Leftwich to be released or traded

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Aug 31, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Leftwich is sure to get some looks by other teams:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, maaaaaybe Baltimore (time to stop the Boller experiment ... if I were a Ravens fan, I'd rather have Leftwich).

If they were questioning Leftwich's durability, how is Garrard, who has Crohn's Disease and must monitor it carefully, going to hold up?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Boller? I thought Steve McNair took most of the snaps last season. And Detroit is happy with Kitna, from what I've heard.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Kansas City?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Boller? I think you missed the 2006 season ;)

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Atlanta?

They definitely need a good quarterback with Michael Vick about ready to become someone's bitch.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Tampa Bay?

They only have seven or eight mediocre quarterbacks.

8. Sam Mills 51

I know Boller is the backup, folks. I'm talking about Baltimore's No. 2 QB. Steve McNair will start and will go until his body breaks down to a point of no return. And everyone knows, McNair included, that he's not a long-term solution.

Kansas City would make a lot of sense, too, but would Herm actually want a QB that can make deep throws and open up the offense? Personnel-wise, the move would be good. In terms of Herm, highly doubtful.

I wanted to say Tampa, but Chucky loves Garcia ... at least that's what he's selling.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But when your backups are Dan Orlovsky and JT O'Sullivan (yea yea I know he was NFL Europa Offensive MVP last year) AND an offensive line that is as porous as swiss cheese, you better always have an eye on someone as a replacement.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

David Garrard? Seriously? Quarterbacking a possible playoff team?

Wow. Guess that's one fewer AFC team to have to worry about.

11. Sam Mills 51

I'm not defending the choice - upthread, I said about as much - but given a potential 1-2 rushing punch (if Fred Taylor stays healthy) and a defense that, when it feels like it, is among the best and might be the most physical unit in the league, I think Jax can be a playoff contender. No, the Jags won't beat Indy or New England, but still a lot of good parts in Jacksonville that can overcome this personnel gaffe.

Garrard can be a good caretaker - Jax's receivers still aren't exactly setting the world afire. But if Jax's offense won't be nearly as potent with Garrard as it could have been with Leftwich.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Within moments of the news of Leftwich's imminent availability, one of the sports talkers around here was on the phone to their Lions "insider," and asked if the team might have any interest.

The response was virtually blurted out. "NO!! No no no no no no no no no no no!! Their QB situation is set. They wouldn't bring in somebody like that at the last minute, to unnecessarily confuse the situation."

Well hell no, of course not, not with Jon "Unitas" Kitna, the legendary fiery leader, with all his "intangibles," at the controls, why would you do a silly thing like that??

::) ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted