1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaps on resume: What to do

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 7, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My resume has all kinds of gaps because I was in long running shows. I've found that honesty always works for me.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My resume shows a gap, sort of.
    I list my current employer first with start date by month and year to present, and then second thing I list is being a freelance/contract writer the same way.
    I have a period where I worked almost exclusively as a contract writer, but it isn't listed individually, just lumped together.
    So when someone asks about a gap between full-time gigs, I'd say I was working as a contract writer for X and go from there.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I agree with HC.

Actually, I think you should somewhat PLAY UP the dude ranch and any other crazy shit you have done. It will make you memorable.

At my favorite place I ever worked, we had two openings. The hiring manager filled the jobs with 2 completely different types: One woman was fresh from Columbia J school with a very traditional journalism resume. The other woman's most recent job was managing a night club in New Jersey. Before that, she spent a year as a scuba instructor in Australia. The boss really liked the crazy background because he felt journalists should be well-rounded.

Well, guess who stayed at the shop and got promoted.. and guess who was out the door in six months?

That's right. Ms. Columbia J-school hated the job, and she was AWFUL. Ms. Crazy Background is still working in journalism.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you feel like you have to put something there, say you were freelancing.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

List it as best as possible and good luck. I'm sure you will get the gig.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Be honest. About everything. Don't lie, exaggerate or anything like that - they'll find out.

During my 461-day reign of terror, I got a call from an SE buddy at a smaller paper. "Hey," he said, "one of your guys has applied with me and I wanted to get your thoughts."

Really? My guys were pretty good about letting me know if they were nosing around anywhere. Plus, while this was a fine smaller paper, it wasn't a move I could see any of my guys making. Wasn't near anyone's home, wouldn't pay more. In fact, it would pay a lot less. It just didn't make sense.

"Who," I asked?

He told me.

"That guy doesn't work for me. He did some stringing for about three months and that was six months ago. He did a decent job with it, yes, but he isn't full time and doesn't cover the things you're saying he says he covered." I asked him to fax me the resume and, sure enough, the guy made it look like he was on our staff.

So, yeah, shoot straight. Always. No matter what. It will bite you if you don't.

(as an aside, I got another call not long afterward and the SE said, "I'm not considering this guy but I had no idea he was on your staff." HE'S NOT, I said. I had asked the guy to remove the reference after the earlier incident. Message not received apparently)

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with Moddy on the "importance" of letting your manager know when you're looking.

I've ALWAYS been taught/told that telling your current employer that you're looking elsewhere is career suicide. You just DON'T do it. Perhaps newspapers have been a different animal, but if I'm looking to move on, I'm not telling you about it until I have accepted a job offer. How the hell do I know you're not going to use that against me to force me to resign or be fired because I was looking elsewhere?

I'm actually bumping this for a reason beyond being the next incarnation of chazp. I mentioned using a functional resume in my earlier post. I interviewed for a job at a call center with that functional resume on a Friday. The following Monday, I got offered the job.

If you have job gaps, a functional resume can highlight the skills and talents you bring to the table with less emphasis on where you've been and when you were there. The interesting thing was that I'd included management experience from my time at my old shop. My manager-to-be actually asked me about it. I certainly didn't make it a point to emphasize it, but it was interesting to actually have it come up.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I must say, KJIM, that you sound like an interesting person.

Peace Corps, dude ranch...what else you got?

My point is, if I'm thinking/saying that, I'm guessing there are probably some employers who would do the same.

My other thought is that, you're asking about what to do with your resume.

You do realize -- don't you? -- that you actually should be thinking along the lines of creating resumes -- several/many of them, each tailored to the specific jobs you're applying for at the time?

In that case, what you do may be different for each job opportunity. One may work fine with a chronological resume. Some might be better applied for with a functional resume emphasizing related skill sets/traits and how they were acquired. In that case, your jobs may not necessarily need to be in chronological order, but instead, can list first whatever past jobs have skills/info related to the one being sought. (You should still include dates worked -- the months/years, at least, somewhere in the info on that job, just de-emphasize it by mixing it in and putting it lower down -- but let employers put together the chronological time line if they're so inclined).

Don't worry about a functional resume being a turn-off or a red flag. Many employers actually prefer them, with the skills bulleted/asterisked and specified, described, detailed and explained as needed/desired with regard to range/extent. These type resumes are often considered to be easier, quicker reading than those written up strictly in paragraph form.

Whatever you do, don't apologize or feel bad for taking seasonal jobs/taking temp jobs or doing whatever you can. At least you're working, and these days, that really counts for something.

Draft saved Draft deleted