1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's new Info Center

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jackson Sundown, Dec 14, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

You are going to have a mix of people visiting newspaper sites, both local and not local (which is more one can say for the actual paper) .. which certainly does open up a new advertising window ... (think national chains, airlines, etc.). I think the local website who only sells ads to Podunk Furniture is definitely missing the boat.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Absolutely right Lantaur. But I still think there is a need (and a large one) to maintain both print and internet issues. I just think the people in charge are going at it the wrong way.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Here's my favorite part:
    "At The News-Press in Fort Myers, Fla., reporters are asked to go on sales calls as potential advertisers are pitched on sponsoring specific stories."

Huh? Yeah, I just filed that 15-inch gamer on deadline, now let me pick up the phone and see if Dick's Sporting Goods wants to run an ad.

Come to think of it, those ad people do drive nicer cars than anyone else. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do the reporters in Fort Myers get commissions off the ads? Somehow I doubt it.

5. EdReed

EdReed Member

I work in Fort Myers and no one has ever asked a member of the sports staff "to go on sales calls as potential advertisers." I have also been in meetings with advertising people and have come up with ideas to make $$ and given them potential advertisers to no avail. From what I've seen and heard, ad people don't want nor require news side help here.

6. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

I have no problem with Gannett's plan. Newspapers have to change to survive, and it seems like Gannett papers are ahead of the curve on that. I DO have a problem, however, with doing all of this without adding new people. Nowhere in any information center press release did I read how Gannett was going to add jobs to accommodate all of this extra work. I work at a Gannett paper that's already been stripped to the bone. I guess that's just the Gannett way.

Draft saved Draft deleted