1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's latest brilliant idea

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mainic14, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Mainic14

Mainic14 New Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003352808

This Information Center idea might be a good thing, if it were being implemented by any other company. But it seems like this is going to mean more work for newsrooms that are already understaffed and running on fumes. Am I wrong to be pessimistic?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Too pessimistic? Depends on whether you are a stockholder or an understaffee, I guess.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't mind the idea. After all, we're in the business of supplying news - and it used to be in a timely fashion (that is, before the internet).

If they want me to cover, write and post the event ASAP to get it to the web, fine. Just let me write in as much detail and with as much creativity as I do now. All I'm asking is this: Don't make work 20 hours a day, seven days a week.

Now that I think of it, what's wrong with - in sports at least - getting gamers on the net pronto, maybe without quotes (or very few) and then getting a more feature-ish or more detailed "gamer" in print for the following day?

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'm at Gannett and we're doing this now. It's not difficult.

Come one people, if you want a job in the changing world of journalism, get on the bus.

Every major shop, not just those in Gannett, will be doing this soon enough.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Good point. I'm spoiled because my print deadline is, get this, 1 AM

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

You don't get quotes in for that 11 p.m. deadline, obviously.
    But I can't imagine a decent beat writer that doesn't already have some kind of story written as the final buzzer sounds, out is made, whatever.
    With 7 p.m. games and 10:30 deadlines, knowing I won't have time to get quotes, come back up and rewrite for first, I just send a basic gamer as soon as it's over, before I head down. Obviously not a work of art, but that's about expediency.

Sadly, at our place, that was often the one that would be sent to the web site, even though they only posted them around 6 a.m. the next morning, and a decent rewrite with all of the quotes and insight came along for the next deadline. (groan).

It's not that hard to do. New York beat writers have several deadlines to meet a night. you get used to it.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My first reaction is that it might mean more reporting and editing jobs because they'll need at least a second shift, along with some sort of skeleton-staffed graveyard crew.

But that would be the logical way to do it. This is Gannett.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I originally thought the same thing. But as we all know, newspaper always want to increase content and work, but never staff size.

Man, I'd love a late late shift.

9. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

How often does something happen from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. that warrants having someone in the newsroom to update the web site?

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The more I think of this, the more I think management has no clue.

We've all said we can/should/do have gamers done before the final horn/whistle/out. So, if we're all equipped with laptops and internet access at the games and trained to upload stories (it's easy, I've done it) to the site (or at least send them to the proper people via email) we could do that.

All the newspaper would or SHOULD have to do is extend out nightly deadlines to allow for a more in-depth, feature-ish, longer story for the print issue the next day.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but the print edition is totally secondary in their thinking here. As I see it, this is about their Web sites, keeping on top of those.

And THAT'S the route it's all headed.

We're not Gannett, but let me tell you something from just last night.

We had a breaking story first. And the entire thought process was to get it up on the Web as soon as it could leave the reporter's fingers. That's what was done, at 7 p.m. The sports desk sort of held its breath through the 11 p.m. newscasts to see if the local TV outlets had picked up on the news off our Web site. They had not.

But, talking to our Web guy today, no need to hold the breath about that. That isn't the priority anymore, beating the TV stations or beating other papers. It's getting it on the Web site first.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Very true. But some people earlier and on other threads, mentioned (keep in mind I'm thinking like management and advertisers) the paper is still needed for flyers, etc. So you will always need copy in there.

And, as I have said before, the web and paper should be complementary of one another:
    A) Gamer immediately on the web. Breakdown and quotes and reaction in the paper.
    B) Breaking story immediately on the web. Reaction, sidebars etc. in the paper.

Basically, kick their ass on getting it public first on the net. Then kick their ass with flare, analysis, reaction and quotes in print.

Draft saved Draft deleted