1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett to close Nashville design studio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Aug 1, 2017.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Gannett is swinging the ax in New Jersey, and this time top editors are getting cut... which likely means further consolidation.

Edited to add, Bergen Record's John Brennan has announced his layoff:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The paper I work on most often these days prints four other papers in the state. Needless to say, those other four papers have staggered earlier deadlines.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

And with fewer printing plants, most papers have to truck papers from a more distant press site. That means earlier deadlines.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Truly nobody is safe. Now they are going after the execs. Before execs were untouchable. What a business. Maybe all former journalists should open a colony and combine all our incomes in a combine so none of us have to live on the street homeless.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Homeless? You need to enter the "For those who've left: any regrets?" universe.

Apparently the surest path to an idyllic life is to be laid off and forced to find the perfect place that you managed to avoid all those years toiling in the newspaper business.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Who are the execs to be let go?

7. zachpm

zachpm New Member

Record sports editor John Balkun, Record enterprise editor Deb Vial, Morristown Daily Record chief editor Joe Ungaro.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Wow, those are two names I didn't want to see. I've worked with them both, and they each have always adapted well to changes. Huge losses (though Balkun's deputies -- assuming they are still there -- are also very good).

I also know John Brennan was cut. Great sports writer who became one of the best sports business writers in the country.

9. PaperDoll

Gannett's layoffs were supposed to be done by Friday... but apparently, they went into overtime.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Especially in Jersey and Philly. Good job Gannett.

11. PaperDoll

Meghan's based at the Delaware paper, but also fed content to the two south Jersey Gannett outlets. I'm wondering if someone else will pick up the beat. Same for Rutgers football, whose Gannett New Jersey beat writer was let go today.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

USA Today too, though this one is not a sports layoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted