1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Sep 10, 2014.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Latest target: Arizona Republic

@kerryfehr: Gannett making all Az Republic staffers reapply for their jobs or take buyouts. Ugh.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I know the initial wave was just this happening at the 5 "beta sites", but I was under the impression they will be doing this at every single one of their properties. Before it's over, I'm guessing this could be bigger than the biggest round of layoffs Gannett has ever had.

And from what I've heard from the dwindling few I know still at my former G stop, this is probably the most sadistic way they've done it yet - tell the newsroom (and it's only the newsroom) of these plans, reorganization, new job descriptions and re-applying for your jobs, saying only it will come in the next 6 months. Then silence for a couple of months, "unofficial" plans and dates for it all, and letting employees twist in the wind for this entire process. At least they get a chance to sharpen their resume and flee the carnage before the reaper shows up, I guess.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Who started this whole "reapply for your job" tactic in newspapers, and has it always been a tacit admission that managers can't manage? Far as I'm concerned, those who put staffers through this crap won't have to apply for positions in hell -- they're already assured.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Forcing people to reapply for jobs is an embarrassingly obvious tactic that helps you fire people who otherwise would sue for age discrimination.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know it will probably never happen, but I wish they'd all find jobs so quickly that they all would be able to tell Gannett that they will be out in two weeks and make the company start from scratch.

Either that, or everyone tells Gannett that they need a couple of days to think over their offer, and the thinking is giving them a headache and they all take a sickout at once.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I hear Asbury Park was hit hard the past two days.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wilmington, too. From the Pipeline:

Everyone at The News Journal in Wilmington, Delaware is essentially being laid off and can interview for up to two jobs in the "newsroom of the future." Just got the solid dates today. Application process and interviews in mid-October. Reorganization in early November.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Newsroom of the future" ... failed. It's called Thunderdome.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time they've done this, either. It's how they cut my ass loose a few years ago - they told us of the "plan" in October, and we sat there with our collective dicks in our hands until March.

I feel for all of my friends still at Gannett papers. Each one of them deserve much better than this.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Why, this is no different than a new coach taking over and declaring all positions open. If veterans can still cut the mustard, they should have nothing to fear. It's not like this is being done out of cheapness or anything. New paradigm, more with less, synergy, newsroom without walls, etc.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One question: What function of misguided pride keeps Gannett in the newspaper business? I mean, at some point, keep USA Today, sell the rest to others and stop doing this to people. It's not worth it.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Of course it's worth it to them - there are still profits being made.

Where did you get the idea that Gannett gives one measly shit about people? Or journalism?

Draft saved Draft deleted