1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett sells four newspapers to Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Apr 12, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Rockford, Huntington, Utica and Norwich.

Rockford take here:

http://rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/NEWS0107/104120133

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Rockford editor, Linda Cunningham, was my boss early on and is one of the nicer editors I've encountered in this business. Poor her.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is Gatehouse bad? I honestly have no idea. I know one of their papers, the Peoria J-S, is pretty damned good.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know some folks who I think are still in Rockford. I don't know if this is good news or bad.
    Gannett seems to be looking for some ready cash. I wonder if this means they are looking to buy elsewhere.
    And didn't Gatehouse just buy a slew of papers? I think they did.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

You're right, I don't know about Gatehouse. I just know it's upsetting to be sold because you don't know what they'll do.

6. chester

chester Member

I work at a paper that was just recently purchased by Gatehouse. All I know is that they kept all of our benefits in place, including 401k and vacation time and the like.

7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

yeah, I'm sure the staff is just broken up about having to say goodbye to Gannett.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm sure the community's devastated that the sale will put the Local Information Center in jeopardy.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Been on two papers when they were sold. Even if it looks like an upgrade overall, you still don't know how it affects you. If they bring in their own people to run the place, which they usually do eventually, you start from square one. You get the famous, "We plan no significant changes at this time" -- "this time" being about three months. And in fact, they may not plan significant changes. I was on a paper when the aforementioned Linda Cunningham came in and said she planned no significant changes, and within a couple months the managing editor was history. I don't think she lied to us, she's one of the more honest people I've met in the biz -- it just takes some time to assess the situation. So it could be better, could be worse, you don't know, and that's the hellish part of being sold.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Interesting. Gannett recently bought the Stamford Advocate and Greenwich Times now they get rid of Norwich. As far as advertising markets go its a home run for Gannett.

I know Gannett was having some union trouble in Stamford however if I read it correctly.

This follows at the heels of Danbury being sold twice in 6 months.

As the world turns.

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Well the Peoria paper has been Gatehouse for all of 48 hours officially now so I don't know how much influence they've had..

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I've heard stories about Gatehouse papers who haven't gotten new computers since 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted