1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

How many newspaper CEO's are getting fired? After all, the industry is performing so poorly, it's time to cut some of them. Right? Of course not. They'll have a good Christmas and, oh, keep you in their thoughts for about five seconds.

2. I think you're off by five seconds.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one mississippi, two miss ...

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh you know, it's the customary prayer where they say "Thank You for bestowing upon your chosen ones at this table our great bounty and golden parachute."

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny, but yawn used to quote the bible.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

To whoever decides to write one: Fuck you right in your stupid ear.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Just got home from another 12-hour shift that will only go down as 8 hours on my time card (to avoid the obligatory chewing of the ass by my bosses to keep OT to a minimum) and I gotta tell you, these next few weeks will be horrible.

The co-workers I talked to are on pins and needles and every one of them can come up with reasons why they're going to be the ones getting cut, even the ones that most people deem untouchable.

Can't be good for production, but then again, better done than good, right? Isn't that the Gannett mantra?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His staff was spared in the first round of cuts. When these come down, they're going to more than make up for it.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone asked earlier about looking now or hoping it misses you.
    Look now. As we've seen repeatedly, even if it misses you this time there's ALWAYS a next time and you usually don't have to wait very long.
    The names we've seen tossed out on these threads in recent months ought to show you that no one is safe. If you think you are untouchable, your arrogance will end up getting you knocked on your ass.
    No one wants the business to recover more than I do. No one wants a bunch of jobs to open up soon more than I do.
    But reality keeps punching us smack in the nose. Prepare a defense and prepare it NOW.
    RIGHT NOW.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In fairness, the last cuts that Gannett made was the heads of departments at larger papers, VPs of Human Resources, Operations, etc. Instead of HR person for one paper, you are in charge of 3-4 if you got to keep your job.

Now, about that corporate office ....

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At this point, I don't care who you are, you should have something else in the works. I don't mean another paper, I mean another career.

As a former editor of mine said, "There are two kind of people in journalism, those who have lost their jobs and those who are waiting to lose their jobs."

I traded emails yesterday with one of Gannett's top columnists. If you listed 10 writers who you would assume would be safe in that company, he would be on the list.

He's scared shitless. He just bought a house and has a kid in college and he is convinced he will be jobless by Dec. 5.

The buzz is that the first round of cuts will happen by Nov. 21 and they'll be done by Dec. 5.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

To add to your point, my experience has been that papers that try to sell classifieds still sell them. Papers that convince themselves that they can't compete with Craig's List, EBay, etc., don't compete with Craig's List, EBay, etc.

Same mentality in newsrooms about how to approach news. Many of the things papers have always expected to deliver, they don't anymore and they'll tell you it's because they can't. Really? Are you sure?

Then they throw a redesign at you and suggest ways to minimize the damage within the context of disastrous big-picture decisions.

A deck-chair-Titantic analogy would be apropos when you get to that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted