1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett is bitching about money. All hands on deck!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This may lead to more cutbacks.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003841764

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If newspapers are showing ad declines in a hotly contested election year, how brutal is 2009 going to be?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ad sales SUCK!?!?!

What a surprise.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Hands were already there. Oh, wait, you said DECK.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not sure if elections have much sway. I can't recall any ads in my paper during the primaries or currently.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent point. I think both parties view the internet as the way to reach voters.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That holds true for the presidential race, and to a lesser extent congressional races. But at the state, county, municipal level, print has always been the go-to source.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe my paper has some policy against it, then (hard to imagine, though, if it would make money).

But there are some 35 municipalities in my county, and never any political ads.

9. WS

WS Member

I figure they'll hire more advertising people and cut more editorial people.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

BOHICA time.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that just seems odd. we were over-run by them during the primaries for loca/state offices.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Election ads are a TV boost. For the vast majority of newspapers, it doesn't mean shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted