1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At the end of last year Gannett with about 80 papers had 504,000 digital subscribers. Gatehouse with about 160 generally smaller papers had 145,000. So the combined companies, with about 240 papers, have abot 2,800 digital subscribers per paper. I do not think this will end well.

2. LanceyHoward

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should be more annoyed at Gatehouse for their continued bullshit with this move, or, with the fund that somehow thinks this is a good idea that won't result with them in bankruptcy court five years from now with two dozen other debtors. Like if the best rate you can get is 11.5 percent, doesn't that suggest this is a bad idea?

4. LanceyHoward

Yeah, it does. But remember Fortress exercises management control over Gatehouse even though they own about one percent of the equity. I don't completely understand the contract but Fortress is going to receive four million shares of stock and additional millions in management fees to terminate their management contract. My guess is that Fortress will walk away with clsoe to another 100 million dollars as their severance package.

So basically Fortress cashes out and they don't care what the hell happens down the road.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Ya know, Lancey, I love your insight but damn it you depress me

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sam Zell got an 8.5 interest rate to buy Tribune in 2007. I thought that was a stupid high rate at the time.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

In other words, for everyone at a Gannett/Gatehouse paper - RUN.

Run. Run. Run out that door and don't look back.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s like GateHouse just put Gannett on its credit card. Seriously, I have a card with lower rates.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Isn’t 11.5 percent essentially junk-level borrowing?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did it for the Marriott points.

jlee likes this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I have a meeting tomorrow. Not officially a job interview, but it's the first step. (Long story, it's for a non-profit org)

Fredrick likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

Indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted