1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I figure they’ll just have a handful of staff photogs for Quincy, Brockton, Taunton, Providence, New Bedford, Fall River, Hyannis and all their weeklies south of Boston and have one photo editor. I know at least one of the longtime photogs at the Ledger left recently... I thought it was a lay-off but maybe he just quit.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it had a paper. I had never heard of it before. It's a few miles from both Providence and New Bedford and not very far from Boston.

While looking up the paper I found the patch for the Fall River police.

[​IMG]

That's an inspiring motto.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Holy Christ, that's an unfortunate patch, because nowadays the city is mostly known for being a rundown port, its high rate of crime and all of the heroin that passes through it. It is a pretty good size city for that region though - 89,000 - with some good surrounding suburbs.

4. cubman

cubman Member

Hearing from some friends in the business that as part of the Gatehouse-Gannett merger, some of the Ohio papers currently owned by Gannett might be sold to a group that owns some smaller papers throughout southern and southeast Ohio. Guessing that would be to quell any anti-trust concerns.

Draft saved Draft deleted