1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett digital production hubs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Apr 8, 2018.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I knew I wouldn't get a good read on this situation until you weighed in. Whew.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I love the reporters and copy editors and local designers remaining. I despite the suits and those at the very top. They have no clue and no concern for the business.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At least the jobs stayed in the United States. I am waiting for these hubs to move to India or the Philippines (I am not kidding, it is not that hard technically).

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I need Rosetta Stone/Help Desk Edition to understand the people I call about a tech problem at work.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

When our company outsourced tech support to India or wherever, I used to laugh when I would call and the guy would say his name was Chip, Billy or Jimmy. Eventually people throughout the chain complained so much about the quality that the company moved tech support back to the U.S.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Most of the jobs do not come back. And you can find Filipinos and Indians who speak good English.

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Even U.S.-based tech support was no guarantee at my former shop. If you called and said you had an urgent deadline issue (which happened frequently), the response invariably was, "We'll write up a ticket and fix it tomorrow or the next day." If you emphasized that you needed immediate help, they'd tell you it wasn't possible. We'd then go to our boss, who'd call up the IT boss, and the problem finally would be addressed.

8. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

The York Daily Record in Pennsylvania let all of its producers know today that they're gone in June.

9. bevo

bevo Member

I've always wonder why there are so many managers. My non-journalism job now has 1 manager for 16 people. Seems like Gannett had 1 editor for every 2 or 3 reporters. And what I do know requires A LOT more hands on managing than anything I ever did at a newspaper.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And it begins.

Draft saved Draft deleted