1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett CEO gets 36% raise!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Awesome.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Sadly, that's a better performance than the one put together by our McClatchy Elders.

3. I'll be amazed if I have a job this time next year.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Depressing.

Utterly. Fucking. Depressing.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Don't remind me, although they were claiming that the latest ginormous earnings loss wasn't really a loss, that we'd made 40 cents a share but the $17+ loss a share was some Knight Ridder thing showing up. Right, and pigs have wings.
    [/quote]

Didn't Enron say something similar to this?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised Gannett doesn't fold every paper it owns except USA Today and then distribute that in place of all of the local papers...

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Yeah my boss tells me he can't hire a full-time No. 2 writer for me. He says it's just not in the budget. Then he gets a $19,000 bonus in December. Gee......as cheap as this company is that's base salary for a No. 2.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agree it's really bad, some of us may not have jobs next year, but I don't think the industry will ever completely go away. The future looks scary, but don't give up until there's a pink slip in your (maybe my) hand.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can't? You mean "won't." That cuts into his fund for a third vacation home.

If he's willing to blatantly lie to you about this, when will you know when he's telling you the truth?

What I love about this Gannett maneuver is the powers-to-be at many of their papers will tell you they don't have the money/budget for simple things, like travel or direct replacements for departed staffers. But they have all sorts of extra money for the one person in the corporation who needs it least.

Corporate Math 101 ...

10. Of course. CEOs get raises only by saving money, not by actually producing a decent product.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Thank God for that!! Or Gannett may have a hard time finding a CEO, besides, isn't it important for these guys to get raises, I'll gladly give up my pathetic 3% so this fine man can get 36%! I mean really, what am I gonna do? Get out of debt? Finally take my wife on a decent vacation? Who needs that, this guy needs themoney far more than me!

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think we hit a nerve with Mr. Gibbons.

Draft saved Draft deleted