1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys school paper..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what would be particularly liberal about calling a college student a slut or trash?

2. The FSView won four Florida Press Association awards, including Best Sports Page and Best Individual Graphic for their football preview... It's not like they were competing against the St. Pete Times for those awards, but save the Alligator, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better one in the state.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Tfco, do you want to answer the question?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's a twice-weekly? You mean FSU doesn't have its own daily?

5. I guess I put that in poor context, it's hard to grasp the spin of an article with just a couple of words.. I also left out that this article ran with the picture of the paegent winner on the front page - not a section front -calling her a slut, inferring that she is just the beneficiary of a high-income family, etc...  including backhanded, petty name calling towards the university and the city's social structure.. all in an apparent article about a beauty paegent.
    I wish I could paste it, but we're talking about a story that a prehistoric 15-20 years old, or the beginning of the last legs of the Flambeau. If it's my ability to read blatant liberal/conservative spun articles in question, I can take a quiz of some sort if you'd like.

Sean Hannity = Conservative
    Al Franken = Liberal

right?

It's a twice weekly, but it also runs much larger than most school papers... a small issue is like 20 or so pages on normal broadsheet. The Orientation and Back to school special stuff gets as big as 70-80 pages broadsheet, probably about the same size as a 60-75K circ Sunday issue.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Nope.

No journalism school+lone campus-oriented newspaper for school of 35k=Monday and Thursday distribution.

The View did (does) pride itself on having one of the Top 5 circulation numbers for campus newspapers and the most distribution locations of any school newspaper in the country when selling to advertisers.

Draft saved Draft deleted