1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett announces furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Gannett will rescind the furloughs/restore pay once the crisis passes?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe for optics, but, even before this, they were going to have to cut to profitability. So I think it is more likely that the furloughs go away, but the pay cuts stay in place, or, they just cut other positions.

Also - Seems like some more furloughs went into place at Gatehouse papers either to start this week or late last week. Saw various former colleagues talking about it on Facebook.

3. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

The Gannett cuts that will be coming will be monstrous.

BurnsWhenIPee and studthug12 like this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agreed. They need to cut to survive, and especially now. Plus this crisis gives them a convenient excuse.

I give this less than a 1 percent chance of happening. More likely would be the announcement of additional furloughs and pay cuts, in addition to more layoffs.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Probably quarterly furloughs through the end of next year and then first quarter in 2022 and '23

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Hiring freeze, pay freeze and one week per month furloughs until 12/31. That's my best case guess. I don't want to think what the worst case might be.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Since the government has to pay unemployment benefits to reporters who get furloughed, does the government ever penalize the news organization that are doing the furloughing? If furloughs last 8-12 months out of a full year pay scale ... that's a lot of money the government is paying out. You'd think they'd tell the newspapers to cut it out or the CEO gets thrown in jail.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

LOL.

No.

Baron Scicluna and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great post. When will Gannett end USA Today? They probably could save a lot of money scrapping the print USA Today and help speed the end of the print product nationally.

Readallover likes this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

At least 2 ad directors let go today in my region

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Which region?

Draft saved Draft deleted