1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett - 1st quarter furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just announced, I'm told. Five days.

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I can confirm. We just got the email today. Apparently, they need my $685 to help pay Craig Dubow's severance. Cocksuckers.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How much did they earn last quarter?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

$99.8 million.

Gracia Martore, president and chief executive officer, said, “All of our business segments continued to deliver consistent profitability in the third quarter. These results, amid continued market volatility, reflect the strength of Gannett’s iconic local and national brands and our relentless commitment to continuously enhancing the news, information and services we offer every day to the communities we serve. Importantly, digital revenues continued to show positive momentum in all of our business segments and were up 10 percent company-wide compared to last year, reflecting the success we are having in offering content and solutions across all platforms.”

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

For Christ's sake, I hate corporations.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Merry Christmas.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck Gannett.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

+1

9. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Us Gannettoids all knew it was coming, but it was still a sickening feeling today to get that email. It just really sucks. Plus, with a smaller staff than last year, it's going to be even more difficult to cover all the desk shifts.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then don't cover the shifts then.

Gannett obviously doesn't care about the quality. Neither should you.

If it takes twice as long to put the paper out because someone is on furlough, then don't hustle to make deadline. A few deadlines blown by three hours will get management's attention.

Of course, they'll get pissed off. Remind them that it's not your fault that you are short on staff. It's Gannett's. (Uh, sorry, but Rusty's on furlough. I had to do his job as well as mine. It takes longer ...")

Maybe paying overtime to people to cover for furloughs will finally get Gannett's attention. Or maybe management will get tired of hearing people calling to complain their paper is three hours late.

Or more likely, management will just blame you to cover their own asses. Par for the course.

But still, if Gannett doesn't care about quality, then neither should you. Hustling to get the job done doesn't impress these people. It just tells them that they don't need as many workers to get the job done.

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

Bravo. Gannett is making money and doesn't give a rats ass if you can cover your mortgage or rent next month. So why bust your ass to cover for their management strategies? Why care about a company that doesn't care about you?

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

"Iconic?" Someone thinks pretty highly of themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted