1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ganim / Patriot-News Win Pulitzer for Sandusky / PSU Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was her tweet...

@sganim: This is .. a win for the whole newsroom and more importantly for everyone in every newsroom like ours around the country. #Pulitzer

I would have laughed my ass off it it had been
    @sganim: I'M GONNA GET PAID!!! SUCK IT HARRISBURG! NYT, SI, show me the money!!! #Paid

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Are y'all looking for this photo?

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Part of me wonders, reading that, whether Sara is still there because she has chosen to be there. Imagine if she'd left and won the Pulitzer while in the offices of, say, Time Warner? That would have been pretty symbolic.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was Dohrmann already at SI when he won?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No, he went after, few months later, according to his bio.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You have terrible instincts in judging a person's reaction.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm not sure when everyone dressed themselves in the morning, they were cognizant of the fact there would be photos taken at work that day.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry about the attempt to climb in your head, but this is just bullshit. You can sit here and say the Pulitzers, ultimately, are just journalistic masturbation and no one should care about awards, and blah, blah, blah, but there is no way I believe -- not for a second -- if someone handed you a Pulitzer Prize for a kick ass job you did on a story, you would be able to play it too cool for school. Gimmie a break.

As for Sara, this is a tremendous blessing, but also has the potential to be a bit of a burden in years to come. I know someone who won a Pulitzer at age 26. She eventually left writing entirely because the pressure was too much.

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

That's awesome that she won and she definitely deserves it. Great to see somebody so young win it.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure Sara encountered no roadblocks in her quest for information simply because she's an alum. "What? You want to look into the rumors that a former assistant was diddling boys? Have any credentials? What's this? A PSU student ID? WELL RIGHT THIS WAY, MA'AM! It's always an honor to help one of our own out. WE ARE!!!!" ::)

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A quote from Sara Ganim:

"I have a police scanner on my nightstand. I fall to sleep and wake up to the morning news. I work 60-hour weeks digging and investigating, chatting up sources, and peeling back layers until I find amazing stories."

This is somebody who isn't a one-story wonder, and she didn't fall into anything.

She kicked ass because she works hard and, perhaps more to the point for some of the cynical veterans of this place, she loves the process and loves the business. She's got an old-timer's heart.

She's a South Florida kid who grew up wanting to do this, and anybody who cares about what the business was and what it still has the potential to be should be heartened.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He's a 3 at best :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.