1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gammons released from hospital

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Whether or not he gets back on TV, I just hope his quality of life is one that he can be lucid and function as normally as possible.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I was listening to a college radio station a few nights ago and they played a pretty good cover of Warren Zevon's "Model Citizen." I listened longer to find out who it was, and they said it was Peter Gammons. I never knew he's a musician, too.

http://music.monstersandcritics.com/reviews/article_1179228.php/Album_Review_Peter_Gammons_-_Never_Slow_Down_Never_Grow_Old

4. Floyd

Floyd Member

Peter might be the best sports writing musician around! He's been on stage to jam with Pearl Jam a few times, and for any avid readers, he works a number of lyrics and musical alusions into his sports stories regularly.

Just a question - as my medical knowledge is minimal - but re: the earlier post about quality of life: Is a brain aneurysm something that can be fully recovered from? I.e., will we ever see the real Peter Gammons again? I certainly hope so.

5. BostonCeltz

BostonCeltz Guest

I don't know, but Peter is lucky he's even alive. My girlfriend's Aunt just had a brain aneurysm a few nights ago and it doesn't look good.

"The annual incidence of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in the U.S. exceeds 30,000 people. Ten to 15 percent of these patients will die before reaching the hospital and over 50 percent will die within the first thirty days after rupture. Of those who survive, about half suffer some permanent neurological deficit."

^^that's from brainaneurysm.com

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I knew he dabbled in music ... and had an OUTSTANDING appreciation for good rock n' roll (he's turned me on to a couple songs/artists I didn't know, just by recommending them in his columns) ... but didn't know how good he was himself.

Listen for yourself: Here's the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FVBL6G/ref=ase_monstersandcr-20/104-8488296-0176709?s=music&v=glance&n=5174&tagActionCode=monstersandcr-20">Amazon page with audio samples</a> -- you can also buy the album there. I think I will. :)

7. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

Apparently, it didn't rupture. Which changes the prognosis greatly.

From what I've read, they caught it and fixed it in time, so there's every chance that Peter will be Peter again (and apparently is, already, having complained that his doctors wouldn't let him go to the All-Star Game).

Here's hoping for a full and rapid recovery.

Draft saved Draft deleted