1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaming industry journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bl67550, Jan 11, 2010.

1. bl67550

bl67550 Member

I've been considering alternatives to sports journalism lately and with the gaming industry still in full-swing I had thought of delving into some possibilities there.

If I were interested in finding a PR/journalism job in sports...say with IGN or GameSpot...where would I go?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sports, gaming.

Are there any jobs writing about the shower habits of beautiful women? Surely there must be a few jobs in that field.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Use google.

A reporter should be able to find contact info about a magazine or web site.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are, but your stories get repetitive after a while. They all start out, "Dear Penthouse. I never thought this would happen to me..."

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you think sports journalism is competitive, video game writing is worse. Too many teenagers think they can write about video games, and drives down the price for good journalism.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they don't let the media in the locker room until after a 10-minute cooling off period.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

" . . . gaming industry in full swing . . ."

Huh? You been to Vegas recently? They're pulling people in off the streets and giving away rooms.

I suggest you look elsewhere.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think he meant video gaming, not gambling.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Is getting a gaming industry writing job luck of the draw?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Like any magazine journalism, and perhaps even more so, video-game journalism (for an extra 15 minutes on deadline, hit up up down down left right left right a b select start) is going to be overwhelmingly freelance-based.

But yeah, it's one of those things anyone thinks they can write about. Doesn't mean they can, but it doesn't do anything for the pay scale.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What do does the OP want to write about? I assume you don't have an in to the industry since you don't have any contacts. Reviews are a dime-a-dozen, but breaking news is still needed if you have good sources.

Draft saved Draft deleted