1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game Show Contestants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That makes two of us. I so would have owned that show.

I saw a Remote Control taping once. What a glorious day it was.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I beg to differ.

[​IMG]

The asses lose early in the Hot Seat.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Deal or No Deal ruins the genre. It's a greed show with over-coached, over-caffeinated morons for contestants. How can they all have heartwarming stories yet be so dumb? "My husband and I have a dream to own a home and be out of debt...but $340,000, NO DEAL!" And then, of course, after they have pissed it all away and leave with $25..."It's OK! This has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience!" Ugh.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This settles it -- Mikey and I are the two people watching Lingo. 8)

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You got an up-close look at Kari Wuhrer?

I can't imagine how many kittens I killed back in the day thinking about her...

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Me too. I heart Shandee. Smart and sexy

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love that show. I'm not real great at it, but it's a hell of a way to spend a half-hour.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It's complicated.

In early '90, I was living in NYC. I saw an ad for auditions in the back of Village Voice. It was a rainy afternoon, so I said fuck it and went down for it. Me and about 500 other people.

A few hours later, after correctly answering questions like "What fake band name does REM sometimes perform under?" I had successfully auditioned for Remote Control.

Fast-forward a couple of months. I get a call from the game show people, who tell me that because Ken Ober, Colin Quinn, Adam Sandler, etc. demanded like quadruple their current salaries, MTV pulled the plug on Remote Control.

However, they had another game show in the works. A cross between Jeopardy and Name That Tune, they said. Would I be interested?

So, I go and become a contestant on a show called Turn It Up, complete with an obnoxious host and a live band. I obliterate my competitors, and for my trouble, I win a bunch of cds from CBS/Columbia, a Gibson electric guitar, a small Denon home stereo thingy and a sailboat. I was one correct answer from winning a trip for two to see Phil Collins at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

I started grad school a few months after that. Very quickly I needed the cash, so I sold the cds at a used record store, sold the guitar through the classifieds, a psycho ex-girlfriend lifted the stereo and the sailboat, a sunfish-type of thingy, sat in my parents' backyard for a few years, until it wound up being hauled away.

I still have the tape of my tour de force. No one's seen it in years. The coolest thing about it was that the show was recorded in the same studio building as Sesame Street, which was dark because Jim Henson had just died. We got to see some of the sets. It was pretty cool.

Oh, and REM, back in the day, played small clubs as "The Hornets Attack Victor Mature."

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That is one cool story. Seriously. You should write into a short story or something.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's awesome, WCV.

11. Agreed. Not bad for a melodramatic, over-acting, attention-seeking douchebag :D

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

We just had this conversation at my in-laws this last weekend. I want to be on Deal or No Deal and invite my in-laws just so when Howie goes over to meet them and the first couple of family members talk about how great I am, (they always sound like the contestant is friggin' Ghandi) my mother in law has agreed to tell Howie, "he's just and ass, never knew what my daughter saw in him, I hopw he goes home with a penny".

I think that would be hilarious...but that may be me. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted