1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones Season 6

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, Apr 23, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, though I understand dispatching Oberyn the way they did. As for last night's casualty, if it wasn't Dr. Bashir, I doubt it would have even registered with me at all.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No one expects the Dothraki Inquisition!

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I totally get where some of the criticisms are coming from and they aren't unfounded, but I think part of the dislike for the Dorne story is that the emotional drive behind it is revenge for something that happened before the show ever started and was only referenced as background.

4. Spartan Squad

Yeah the reference to the rapes by Oberyn were a little out of the blue considering just last season it seemed the Sand Snakes thought highly of him.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think those lines were meant to say Doran did nothing after his family was raped and slaughtered. "Elia Martell, raped and slaughtered. Oberyn Martell, slaughtered." Insert a comma like I have here or just the word "was" in those sentences, and I think you get the meaning they were going for. I heard it as a condemnation of the people she was talking about at first, too, but looking back at it, I think it was just poorly written.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. outofplace

Yeah, I believe she was talking about the rape and murder of Elia and the murder of Oberyn, not anything Oberyn did wrong. She was talking about the failure to do anything to avenge Elia and Oberyn.

People also seemed to misunderstand what Oberyn was doing during the fight with the Mountain. He wasn't just taunting him. He was trying to get him to confess his crimes and admit that it was Tywin Lannister who ordered him to do it. Sadly for Oberyn, he was too careless in doing so.

7. Spartan Squad

That makes more sense. I think i misunderstood what they were saying

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: Old Mel. Hey... I have an old, mostly disabled mom who sometimes needs help going to the loo and bathing. Nothing I saw on GoT scarred me any more than the "what has been seen cannot be unseen" horror show at home.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't see that coming, but as a non-book reader, I didn't have much currency in the Dorne storyline. The events in the season premier only served to make that plot mildly more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the episode. Lots of things to like, particularly the scene with Pod helping Sansa with her lines. I just think the episode would've been strengthened if they had postponed one of the many plot lines that hung on the cliff of Season's 5 finale.

One thing I didn't really understand: I was under the impression that Roose helped carry out the Red Wedding with the consent of the Lannisters. What did I forget that happened to make Bolton sure a Lannister army was headed North?

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

It's tough to make someone laugh out loud with subtitles.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  11. outofplace

Sending Jaime back minus a hand probably caused some concerns.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He married his son to Sansa, who the Lannisters think helped kill Joffrey.

Draft saved Draft deleted